Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Since so many reported this yesterday (DrP plus a couple of people I talked to), I didn't report it. However, if they did anything, they only did enough for the water that was there to drain. Much of the muck still covers the drain, so the next time there's heavy rain, it will happen again. Since I rarely bring a shovel or a rake with me while riding, Ima be a greasy wheel.

It seems that if we bother to do anything anymore, we only use half of our ass, not the whole thing.
    I noticed this morning that there was only a pushing away of enough muck to drain the puddle - something any trail user and a big stick could have done (and I frequently do if I am walking and find gutters backed up). Since they did not address the low branches by Lyon Village (and one looked lower today), my guess is that they didn't go out at all yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I noticed this morning that there was only a pushing away of enough muck to drain the puddle - something any trail user and a big stick could have done (and I frequently do if I am walking and find gutters backed up). Since they did not address the low branches by Lyon Village (and one looked lower today), my guess is that they didn't go out at all yesterday.
    I wrote in. I also pointed out that the muck could be hazardous to someone unwary since it's heavily shaded down there and is at a point where a cyclist could have a lot of speed. Puddles and muck are all fun and games for an individual cyclist, but hundreds of cyclists a day going through there, sooner or later someone is going to get hurt. There was that wreck there a few weeks back where the medics had to come for that gentleman, and that was when conditions were clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Drainage grate on the Custis appeared to be mostly cleaned up this morning.

4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are freshly painted handicap spaces by the Jefferson Memorial near the access to the 14th street bridge. Either the left lane currently blocked and NPS also frequently parking in the left lane obstructing the view of the crossing it looks like this area is going to be even more yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tree down on MBT/Cap Crescent

Hi all - wanted to let you know that as of this morning (8/13), there was a large tree down on the Cap Crescent/MBT just west of Connecticut Avenue.

The tree completely blocks the trail but you can go around it on the grass (actually mud) on one side. I'm a runner, not a cyclist, but my hunch is that cyclists will need to dismount to get past it.

Post Thanks / Like

Glass on the MVT. First bridge north of the CC Connector. The Miller Highlife lowlife again, apparently. Called the USPP non-emergency number, 202-610-7505 and said that there was a part of the bottle large enough to get a fingerprint off. The officer at the desk seemed to be aware of the recurring problem. They said they would send somebody out.

8. Likes Judd, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Glass on the MVT. First bridge north of the CC Connector. The Miller Highlife lowlife again, apparently. Called the USPP non-emergency number, 202-610-7505 and said that there was a part of the bottle large enough to get a fingerprint off. The officer at the desk seemed to be aware of the recurring problem. They said they would send somebody out.

I cleared a path on two of the bridges this morning and the third had a clean-ish path through the glass so I left it. Emailed the GWMP when I got in. They said the park police are aware but they aren't exactly jumping up and down to accept my offers to provide information. I also suggested they leave some full sized brooms hidden around there so willing bikers could sweep up in the mornings, but they haven't taken me up on that idea either. Halfway tempted to buy a full sized broom and chop the handle down and strap that to my bike and just start leaving 10 minutes earlier. It is going to get too dark to see the glass here pretty quickly in the mornings.

I'm no special agent, but I am guessing this isn't the toughest case to crack in the history of law enforcement.

10. Likes Harry Meatmotor, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damaged bridge in Fairfax on CCT

I was surprised by a new large bump on a bridge across Accotink Creek on the CCT. Looks like a tree fell and was pushed under the bridge during the heavy rain. I guess as the waters rose it just started to buckle the surface upward. Hopefully the structure is still sound.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170814_173006.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	15362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170814_172950.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	15363

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annoyedindc View Post
    I was surprised by a new large bump on a bridge across Accotink Creek on the CCT. Looks like a tree fell and was pushed under the bridge during the heavy rain. I guess as the waters rose it just started to buckle the surface upward. Hopefully the structure is still sound.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170814_173006.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	15362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170814_172950.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	15363
    Did you report to parkmail@fairfaxcounty.gov ? I've found they're very good about responding, and that definitely looks like something that should get checked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Did you report to parkmail@fairfaxcounty.gov ? I've found they're very good about responding, and that definitely looks like something that should get checked out.
    Yep, just got a call from them as well confirming that they're sending out a crew to investigate/repair.

14. Likes Sunyata liked this post