Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Nearly Hit by Car on Shirlington Connector

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Nearly Hit by Car on Shirlington Connector

    On my way home today, I nearly got nailed by a car making a "short u-turn" from the cement factory entrance across from Four Mile Run to the Exxon station on Shirlington Rd. By "short u-turn" I mean they didn't bother making two lefts and instead just went into northbound Shirlington Rd to make their turn. The car stopped a few feet from hitting me, and then waved me across like they were being polite to stop for me. This maneuver that was made is hard to describe, so here's a drawing of the incident.

    Name:  Shirlington Close Call.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  20.4 KB

    I ride through there all the time as it's on my way home, and never would have expected something like that. I have reported to the county previously about a lack of a crosswalk/light at the cement factory entrance, being that there's a light for the trucks coming out of there, but haven't seen anything done about it.

  2. Likes Judd liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    On my way home today, I nearly got nailed
    Oh sure, "politely" waved you on while they were busy doing something reckless. Glad it didn't result in catastrophe, that is indeed a dangerous intersection.

    Weren't there a couple of PAL events at the Weenie Beanie recently to discuss redesigning that area? I didn't make it to any of them, but maybe someone else can report on the status.

  4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    On my way home today, I nearly got nailed by a car making a "short u-turn" from the cement factory entrance across from Four Mile Run to the Exxon station on Shirlington Rd. By "short u-turn" I mean they didn't bother making two lefts and instead just went into northbound Shirlington Rd to make their turn. The car stopped a few feet from hitting me, and then waved me across like they were being polite to stop for me. This maneuver that was made is hard to describe, so here's a drawing of the incident.

    Name:  Shirlington Close Call.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  20.4 KB

    I ride through there all the time as it's on my way home, and never would have expected something like that. I have reported to the county previously about a lack of a crosswalk/light at the cement factory entrance, being that there's a light for the trucks coming out of there, but haven't seen anything done about it.
    Oy.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Claremont (Arlington)
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Oh sure, "politely" waved you on while they were busy doing something reckless. Glad it didn't result in catastrophe, that is indeed a dangerous intersection.

    Weren't there a couple of PAL events at the Weenie Beanie recently to discuss redesigning that area? I didn't make it to any of them, but maybe someone else can report on the status.
    There was a collection of friendly PAL-advocates last weekend helping cyclists navigate the crossings. Helpful and appreciated!

    This whole intersection-slash-clusterfart is being examined as part of the overall 4 Mile Run Valley planning process. There are warm feelings regarding the development of some sort of bypass (bridge, perhaps) that will allow trail users to avoid at-grade road crossings unless they really, really want to get into that sort of thing. Won't happen soon, but at least there is movement.

  7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    There was a collection of friendly PAL-advocates last weekend helping cyclists navigate the crossings. Helpful and appreciated!

    This whole intersection-slash-clusterfart is being examined as part of the overall 4 Mile Run Valley planning process. There are warm feelings regarding the development of some sort of bypass (bridge, perhaps) that will allow trail users to avoid at-grade road crossings unless they really, really want to get into that sort of thing. Won't happen soon, but at least there is movement.
    IIUC the thinking is for an underpass that would take the trail under Shirlington Road. Meanwhile there would be some kind of bike accommodation on the road itself, as part of a rebuilt bridge, as well as a wider sidepath (which will be especially necessary if the current industrial area becomes more an arts/recreation/makerspace/mixed use area as seems to be envisioned)

  9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Columbia Pike
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    IIUC the thinking is for an underpass that would take the trail under Shirlington Road. Meanwhile there would be some kind of bike accommodation on the road itself, as part of a rebuilt bridge, as well as a wider sidepath (which will be especially necessary if the current industrial area becomes more an arts/recreation/makerspace/mixed use area as seems to be envisioned)
    Unfortunately it seems that staff is leaning toward the OTHER option which is a flyover bridge between the W&OD and the Shirlington Connector that would go over Shirlington Drive. That option is arguably better for the long-haul cyclist who is just passing through but worse for the local who is just trying to get across the damn street safely. I think you can probably tell where my preferences lie.

  11. Likes Starduster liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Unfortunately it seems that staff is leaning toward the OTHER option which is a flyover bridge between the W&OD and the Shirlington Connector that would go over Shirlington Drive. That option is arguably better for the long-haul cyclist who is just passing through but worse for the local who is just trying to get across the damn street safely. I think you can probably tell where my preferences lie.
    Interesting, but I share your preference. For one, I just think the underpass would be more aesthetically pleasing, a more elegant solution, than a bridge over Shirlington Road. It would also be more useful for Shirlington residents, as well as us folks (I confess to being an interested party) riding down from Fairlington and nearby points (yes, I know we can all take the lane on Arlington Mill, but aside from not liking to breathe bus fumes at the stop light, I find the turn onto the trail from Shirlington Road awkward - perhaps that at least could be fixed in the new plan?) . But yeah, for folks coming from north of Walter Reed, a direct W&OD connection is probably better. Though of course improvemetns on Walter Reed between the W&OD and 4MRT would enable them to use a 4MRT underpass (those who aren't already fine with going from the W&OD to 4MRT vehicularly in Walter Reed)
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 08-03-2017 at 03:53 PM.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    IIUC the thinking is for an underpass that would take the trail under Shirlington Road. Meanwhile there would be some kind of bike accommodation on the road itself, as part of a rebuilt bridge, as well as a wider sidepath (which will be especially necessary if the current industrial area becomes more an arts/recreation/makerspace/mixed use area as seems to be envisioned)
    I actually continue northbound on Shirlington Rd on the bike lane, but this little connector is needed to get to 4MR. I'd like to see better markings such as green paint along the sidewalk, and fixing the crossing with the cement factory entrance, since it's not marked and they do have a green light there, which can confuse right-of-way.

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Unfortunately it seems that staff is leaning toward the OTHER option which is a flyover bridge between the W&OD and the Shirlington Connector that would go over Shirlington Drive. That option is arguably better for the long-haul cyclist who is just passing through but worse for the local who is just trying to get across the damn street safely. I think you can probably tell where my preferences lie.
    A flyover bridge would need to be a pretty steep incline going westbound, in addition to the incline coming from the current 395 underpass to Shirlington Rd., unless they have a really fancy long overpass starting back by 395.

  14. #9
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Unfortunately it seems that staff is leaning toward the OTHER option which is a flyover bridge between the W&OD and the Shirlington Connector that would go over Shirlington Drive. That option is arguably better for the long-haul cyclist who is just passing through but worse for the local who is just trying to get across the damn street safely. I think you can probably tell where my preferences lie.
    Agreed. Ugh.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would an underpass flood there? Also, any chance that flashing beacon at grade could become a HAWK?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •