Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash on the MVT - July 23

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crash on the MVT - July 23

Sunday morning my friend Jerry and I decided to take a ride down to Mount Vernon. We met at Jones Point Park for our ride. I warned Jerry we should expect debris and wet conditions on our ride. Sure enough, as we rode south we had to avoid tree limbs, branches, twigs and a spot where the trail was blocked by a fallen limb.

We made it down to Mount Vernon, drank some water and rested. Before getting back on our bikes, I reminded Jerry to be alert for wet bridges as we headed home.

I was out in front and had just passed the parking lot at Riverside Park and was approaching a bridge (I think it is Bridge #3). Based on my Garmin tracking, I think I was going less than 15 MPH. There was a branch hanging over the guard rail (likely water laden from the previous night's rain) blocking my view and path. Without giving any thought or warning, I moved over to the left to pass the branch. What a terrible decision!

Headed southbound was an on-coming cyclist, I attempted to brake and move to the right. Unfortunately, there was no forgiveness from the bridge - down I went with the other cyclist riding over me. Miraculously, the other rider was not hurt, not even a scratch. As I lay on the trail assessing my injuries, it looked like I had survived with some bad rash and a sore upper leg. I had not hit my head, my extremities all were functioning, and the little bleeding was not cause for concern. Somehow, I had even managed not to tear up my Crystal City Ride jersey nor my bike shorts.

Arising from the ground, I was able to walk with just a bit of pain. I went to check on my bike, other than a couple of scratches, the bike was ok.

The other cyclist and I confirmed we were ok and headed off. Home was 14 miles away.

Peddling was easy on the flat areas, but I quickly realized that hills were not my friend. However, I did discover that clipless pedals were invaluable. By pulling up on my left foot, I could avoid having to put a lot of pressure on my right leg. Jerry was an invaluable wingman helping to guide me home.

The first time we had to come to a complete and feet on the ground stop was at the traffic light at Wilkes and Patrick, putting full weight on my right leg hurt. Once the light changed we headed off, no more stops for the last 5 miles.

When I got home and got off my bike, I realized that I couldn't even put any weight on my right leg. Fortunately, my wife was at home and came to my assistance. She helped me into the house and I called urgent care.

After many hours in urgent care, multiple x-rays, confirmation that walking on my right leg really was excruciating, I was sent off for an MRI. The MRI found a minor hairline fracture of the neck of the femoral bone. Surgery was scheduled for Monday morning.

Ultimately, surgery was canceled due to the abrasions that were right where the surgeon needed to operate. Once those heal I will most likely have surgery to have three screws inserted into the bone. Then I make the push to get past this and back on my bike.

So, I thought I was being careful and had enough experience to avoid this, but I clearly didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap. Sending wishes for fast healing.

3. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! I'm glad you got checked out quick.

I went to a phenomenal orthopedic surgeon last year who did a great job on my hip surgery (and really focused on getting me back on my bike) if you are looking at other doctors. But it sounds like you've got a plan in place which is good.

5. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh that's terrible.
    Hoping for an easy surgery and successful healing!

7. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to add this to the MVT wooden bridges sticky in this category.

Sending healing vibes your way.

9. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's terrible! I'm glad you were able to get home using only one leg and get checked out at the clinic. I hope you heal up when you have surgery and are able to be back on the bike by end of summer.

11. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey

I am so sorry, but glad it was not worse, and hoping for an easy surgery and a fast and full recovery.

15. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear Casey. If there's anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear Casey. I hate the damn wood bridges. I fall at least once a year on them. Hopefully you'll be back to 100% in no time. I'll keep my eye out at the farmer's market for you. Heal fast. And if there is anything Judd can do to help, please let me know.

19. Likes CaseyKane50, Steve O, Judd liked this post