Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loudoun Police to Drivers: Don't Stop for Peds/Cyclists

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the idea of punishing a driver who decides to be proactive when they think a person will be entering a crosswalk and slowing down or stopping for them in a reasonable manner (i.e., no hard stops). I understand that drivers might get into Helpy Helperton a.k.a. arigata meiwaku territory, but I'd rather they err on the side of caution.

I like the installation of the RRFB, though, as it does help alert drivers to the presence of a pedestrian/cyclist, but it should be noted that it is not required in order for a person to be able to legally use the crosswalk.

As an aside, they should also lower the speed limit to 25 to really signal the importance of safety at this crossing to drivers, but I'll keep buying property on the moon in the meantime.

2. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick update on this situation: I saw a tweet from the FABB (@BikeFairfax) stating the following:
    FABB continues to monitor this situation. LCPD said they were warning motorists about stopping when RRFB not flashing.

Post Thanks / Like

Overly cautious drivers can be just as bad as those that do not stop IMO. I suspect this is what LCPD is trying to address.

Please! Stop calling it a "beg" button! It is NOT a button to ask for permission!

Post Thanks / Like

. I got the name from former New York City transportation commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan and Seth Solomonow in their book Streetfight. Here’s her introduction of the concept:

“Another poorly thought-out safety feature is pedestrian buttons at crosswalks. Many urban and suburban crosswalks will never get a Walk signal unless someone at the corner presses one of these “beg buttons”. It’s not surprising to find that many people get tired of waiting or don’t realise there’s even a button to press, instead taking their chances by crossing against the light. And once you’re crossing there’s no guarantee that motorists will respect your right-of-way…”

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    . ...It’s not surprising to find that many people get tired of waiting or don’t realise there’s even a button to press, instead taking their chances by crossing against the light. And once you’re crossing there’s no guarantee that motorists will respect your right-of-way…”
    I think "press to cross" button has become quite ubiquitous around here. If the button doesn't do the trick, giving the Heisman usually does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post

and of course, ones where the flashing lights are routinely ignored. Which does happen at some heavily used crossings.
    That's because rapid flashing beacons are stupid and should never be used because no one knows what they mean because everyone got their license before they existed.

9. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    I think "press to cross" button has become quite ubiquitous around here. If the button doesn't do the trick, giving the Heisman usually does.
    I don't know what you mean by "around here". We say it all the time. If engineers were really concerned about safety, and these RRFBs really worked (iff'y), the lights would be activated by a camera.

11. Likes chris_s, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still at a loss as to why they could not have just installed a pedestrian stop light at this location like at many other busy intersections on the W&OD (Gallows, Maple Ave, the two streets in Herndon and one in Leesburg whose names I can not recall and am too lazy to look up)... It sounds like this would be a relatively easy and simple solution to the problem while waiting for an over/underpass to be built.

13. Likes dasgeh liked this post