Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self driving cars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    IMO, if I could get a gadget that would keep me from getting hit I would buy it today.
    I usually wear a helmet, but not always. Sometimes I choose not to wear one; other times I simply forget to put it on even when intending to do so.

I too would buy such a gadget, but it shouldn't be a bicyclist's responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    IMO human driven cars shouldn't be street legal until they aren't involved in 30k deaths per year.
    Yes, our current mix of drivers has set an incredibly low bar for self-driving cars to clear. But I'd implicate our milquetoast licensing and traffic violence justice system rather than the cars themselves.

How many of these deaths could be prevented if we held drivers fully responsible for their actions? Is a self-driving car safer than an attentive sober driver who is genuinely more concerned about safety than being two minutes late?

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    If there is some beacon that means a self-driving car will recognize you as something it shouldn't run over, it seems to me that finding a cheap way to procure these beacons and spread them throughout the city shouldn't be a terribly difficult task.
    I propose that this beacon be the optical signature of a human being.

2. Likes dasgeh, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With all of these emerging safety devices, don't forget the world is full of "geniuses" who figure out ways to defeat or otherwise nullify the safety device.

The rolling coal example; the individual has to intentionally change the fuel/air mixture for the engine to do it. It's not something you can do at a moment's notice on the fly. Don't forget, the other "genius" out there in the wild who figured out how to defeat Tesla' s hands-on-wheel safety feature...ironically with a bike water bottle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

4. Likes bobco85, streetsmarts, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    [*]rolling coal - jerk driver decides to "roll coal" on a cyclist behind them, but the vehicle detects a person behind the truck, measures the amount of smoke being sent through the exhaust, and dumps it into the cabin of the truck instead for instant karma
    ftfy

6. Likes Starduster, scoot, Steve O liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata, bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    With all of these emerging safety devices, don't forget the world is full of "geniuses" who figure out ways to defeat or otherwise nullify the safety device.

The rolling coal example; the individual has to intentionally change the fuel/air mixture for the engine to do it. It's not something you can do at a moment's notice on the fly. Don't forget, the other "genius" out there in the wild who figured out how to defeat Tesla' s hands-on-wheel safety feature...ironically with a bike water bottle.

I've also thought of how such a device could be used maliciously such as throwing a beacon in front of a moving vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post

I've also thought of how such a device could be used maliciously such as throwing a beacon in front of a moving vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    (12:05 PM)I've also thought of how such a device could be used maliciously such as throwing a beacon in front of a moving vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    (12:21 PM)I've also thought of how such a device could be used maliciously such as throwing a beacon in front of a moving vehicle.
    You guys should meet up sometime; very similar ways of thinking.

10. Likes Judd, Starduster, bentbike33, AFHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked for a while developing sensors for autonomous vehicles, and sensors for alerting the operator of an impending dangerous situation, such as a pedestrian or deer crossing in front of the vehicle. It is a very hard problem, even if I would have been allowed to cheat by providing some sort of recognition tag for classes of objects (such as pedestrians or cyclists). Based on what I know, autonomous vehicles scare me, and they have a long way to go before they are mature.

Post Thanks / Like

Arlnow featured a video of an autonomous driverless van going up and down Wilson & Clarendon Boulevards in Arlington. At 30 seconds in you can see it passing a cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like

GGW article "Congress and auto industry move to ban cities from regulating self-driving cars"

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Yes, our current mix of drivers has set an incredibly low bar for self-driving cars to clear. But I'd implicate our milquetoast licensing and traffic violence justice system rather than the cars themselves.

How many of these deaths could be prevented if we held drivers fully responsible for their actions? Is a self-driving car safer than an attentive sober driver who is genuinely more concerned about safety than being two minutes late?
    Honestly, none of that matters: we live in this reality, where 200+ million americans think they have a god-given right to drive as fast as they want without paying attention to what's in front of them, not an alternate reality in which we have 200+ million attentive sober drivers concerned about others. Self driving cars are the only foreseeable path toward streets which are safe for cyclists & pedestrians, because you can't fix 200 million peoples' ingrained bad habits. (And no, those people aren't going to sign up for being held responsible for they way they drive.)