Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix hole in bike shorts?

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to fix hole in bike shorts?

Hi, I've got a hole in my Pearl Izumi bike shorts. Any ideas on how to easily fix it? I was going to just stitch it together but I suspect that may not be a good idea for spandex. I have a sewing machines but very limited sewing skills. Should I use a patch instead?

Thanks!

Name:  P1000780.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  98.1 KB
    Last edited by KLizotte; 07-24-2017 at 08:55 AM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, search Amazon for IronMend. (Sorry can't easily link that in right now.)

3. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow! Thanks for the reply since I had no idea IronMend existed. Even though it is made specifically for wetsuits it appears that most people on Amazon use it to repair cycling kit. Sounds like there is a real need out there for the cycling community. Will get some and give it a whirl. May be useful for some other stuff with holes in it.

5. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that stuff works well, though I have found that stuff that goes into the dryer tends to have patches start peeling after awhile (half dozen washes?). Using the glue that they sell with it might add a bit of longevity? Or just hang-up repaired lycra. (Or maybe I did something wrong when fixing.)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's designed for wetsuits which I presume are not designed to go into the dryer. I hang dry my shorts anyway so shouldn't be an issue.

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Well, it's designed for wetsuits which I presume are not designed to go into the dryer. I hang dry my shorts anyway so shouldn't be an issue.
    Yeah, very good. I used to be more meticulous about hang drying lycra, but at some point it just started going into the dryer. Probably if I bought more expensive shorts I'd do better at that. But I do hang dry the patched stuff now -- e.g. my PI amfib tights.

Post Thanks / Like

I do occasionally cheat and throw kit in on the delicate cycle but I live in a high rise and it costs money to use the dryers.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a small hole. I would try just a few loops of thread by hand to close it up. A more solid patch would be to back it with some fabric and run over it with a zig-zag pattern. Probably overkill unless its in a high stress area.

Post Thanks / Like

It's about the size of a nickel on the inside of the leg. No idea how it got there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    It's about the size of a nickel on the inside of the leg. No idea how it got there.
    The answer is always: From laying down amazing wattage.