Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the beginning was the deed!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick update - progress on this is being made. I have made a spreadsheet of all the places I want segments, and have identified existing segments for the places in the City of Alexandria (still working on Arlington and DC) The existing segments are pretty much all shorter than I want (I care about the whole piece of infra, not the ride to the crest of a hill) so I may make new ones anyway, though I suppose in some places riding most of the infra will do.

I have NO places specified in Fairfax, or in Maryland. If people in those places know of any that would fit the bill for this (controversial pieces of seg infra) please let me know very soon, or this will be an Arlington/Alexandria/DC game.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, In Reston there's Lawyers Road, Soapstone, Colt's Neck, Glade, Twin Branches (?). These all have some sort of bike lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Quick update - progress on this is being made. I have made a spreadsheet of all the places I want segments, and have identified existing segments for the places in the City of Alexandria (still working on Arlington and DC) The existing segments are pretty much all shorter than I want (I care about the whole piece of infra, not the ride to the crest of a hill) so I may make new ones anyway, though I suppose in some places riding most of the infra will do.

I have NO places specified in Fairfax, or in Maryland. If people in those places know of any that would fit the bill for this (controversial pieces of seg infra) please let me know very soon, or this will be an Arlington/Alexandria/DC game.
    Is there a Maine Ave segment for the finished PBL? I'm curious as to how many cyclists take a lane on Maine instead of the PBL, but I suspect the right, southbound lane of Maine would be too close to Strava to distinguish them. The northbound lanes may be far enough away though?

I've only taken the PBL once. Northbound when Maine Ave traffic was backed up to the Arena Stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    Yes, In Reston there's Lawyers Road, Soapstone, Colt's Neck, Glade, Twin Branches (?). These all have some sort of bike lane.
    North Shore now also has a bike lane for most of it's length.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Is there a Maine Ave segment for the finished PBL? I'm curious as to how many cyclists take a lane on Maine instead of the PBL, but I suspect the right, southbound lane of Maine would be too close to Strava to distinguish them. The northbound lanes may be far enough away though?

I've only taken the PBL once. Northbound when Maine Ave traffic was backed up to the Arena Stage.
    Strava allows for way too much GPS error in crediting segments to distinguish between the main travel lane and seg infra. As an example, consider ArLoopCCW2 which is defined on the W&OD along Four Mile Run Drive. On this ride I get credit for the segment even though I was riding in the rightmost eastbound lane of Four Mile Run Drive (this was when the W&OD interchanges were under construction), about as far away as I could get from the trail while remaining on the parallel road.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    Were (are) any of the bike lanes controversial? I am willing to add a non-controversial segment for geographic balance if people really want (and then I would certainly need to do the same for Maryland) put would really prefer to make this about segments with at least some controversy (I am including Van Dorn, which did not stir up as much as King Street, but which I recall getting at least some pushback)

Post Thanks / Like

Were (are) any of the bike lanes controversial? I am willing to add a non-controversial segment for geographic balance if people really want (and then I would certainly need to do the same for Maryland) put would really prefer to make this about segments with at least some controversy (I am including Van Dorn, which did not stir up as much as King Street, but which I recall getting at least some pushback)
    I know the Glade lanes were very controversial (and still are according to a friend who lives off Glade). The new paint at the intersection of Glade and Soapstone was an issue as well, but the Soapstone lanes have been there for a while, if I recall correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I know the Glade lanes were very controversial (and still are according to a friend who lives off Glade). The new paint at the intersection of Glade and Soapstone was an issue as well, but the Soapstone lanes have been there for a while, if I recall correctly.

Is that this project ?

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/...ements2017.htm

Is it completed? What are the endpoints?

I will be happy to include it.

Post Thanks / Like

I will also add the 500 block of T Street and 1900 block of 6th street NW, contraflow lanes in LeDroit Park. Hattip Greater Greater Washington.

Post Thanks / Like

I will also add the 500 block of T Street and 1900 block of 6th street NW, contraflow lanes in LeDroit Park. Hattip Greater Greater Washington.
    Good call. I was going to ask if you had any minimum length requirements...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk