Thread: Example analysis of how to place new bike lanes and bikeshare stations

Default Example analysis of how to place new bike lanes and bikeshare stations

Last week, I attended the Esri User Conference, a week long conference about Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and geospatial analysis. The plenary session had a section that included bikes and bikeshare stations. In it, the speaker talked about how Boston planned to expand their stations and plan for new bike lanes based on station usage.

While I was in San Diego for the conference, I made use of their bikeshare system, called DecoBike. It's definitely a step down from our Capital Bikeshare, in terms of equipment and ease of use.

I haven't done a scientific study or anything, but GIS geeks seem to like bicycles. Or maybe bicycle geeks seem to like GIS?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I haven't done a scientific study or anything, but GIS geeks seem to like bicycles. Or maybe bicycle geeks seem to like GIS?
    I would guess that this is a reflection of the easy availability of datasets from bikeshare systems.

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I can back that up with more anecdotal evidence, by the number of my coworkers at NatGeo who fall in both categories!