Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or is Penn. Ave. in front of the White House closed more often now?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how long before they just close it off for good. Many folks may not remember or did not live here then, but E Street south of the White House used to be a real-live no foolin' street, but it was closed for "security reasons."

Post Thanks / Like

DDOT is considering dedicated bus lanes on H Street, which might make it less of a nightmare.

In addition..... "A protected bikeway on Pennsylvania Avenue would also be fantastic. DDOT is considering a two-way bikeway on one side of the street, or a pair of protected bikeways on each side. Either way, Pennsylvania Avenue is a great place for a bikeway, because while it used to be a large avenue carrying traffic right past the White House, with it closed past 17th Street it's now wider than it needs to be for the traffic it carries."

I'll believe it when it happens, but if you want a voice there's a meeting on Thursday, July 20, 6:30-8 pm at GWU Funger Hall, 2201 G St NW, Room 222 or a link to send them an email.

3. Likes Judd, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pennsylvania is pretty dead West of 17th and dedicated bike infrastructure would be cool, although I find it low stress enough currently that I would settle just for improvements at the intersection of 17th & Penn for cyclists intending to head straight to the White House. Currently there are two right turn and two left turn lanes on to 17th. I end up maneuvering into the leftmost right turn lane to go straight, which is usually ok depending on traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Heading eastbound in the morning, I've adopted this route, which avoids any shutdowns in front of the whitehouse and has a bonus of being faster, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hstreetexpress.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	15175
    That also avoids me riding on the sidewalk on H from 20th to 19th. How is it that the IMF gets to close a street for SEVEN YEARS to renovate a building? They're four years into the project with three more to go.

6. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcb203 View Post
    That also avoids me riding on the sidewalk on H from 20th to 19th. How is it that the IMF gets to close a street for SEVEN YEARS to renovate a building? They're four years into the project with three more to go.
    (This block is deliciously air conditioned! As is the corner of 18th and H/Penna.)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this part of Penn Ave is being closed more often and it throws a big wrench into my commute. However, as tempting as it may be, I do not think that it is due to current Administration. Rather, it reflects the Secret Service's continual efforts to expand the security perimeter and generally not give a damn about the public.

9. Likes jrenaut, Subby, dasgeh, bobco85, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I agree that this part of Penn Ave is being closed more often and it throws a big wrench into my commute. However, as tempting as it may be, I do not think that it is due to current Administration. Rather, it reflects the Secret Service's continual efforts to expand the security perimeter and generally not give a damn about the public.
    I also don't think it seems to be tied to the current administration as it seems to have started happening more at the tail end of Obama and particularly after the multiple incidences of people jumping the fences and making it pretty far towards the White House before being stopped. It would be super nice if the Secret Service could at least leave the 15th St. Cyclotrack connection open since having to continue north sucks without it.

11. ELITE ginacico ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If folks can blame sunspots and missed putts on Obama, I can blame this on Trump.

Although really I do agree that this started about when all the fence jumpers started making headlines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Although really I do agree that this started about when all the fence jumpers started making headlines.
    The Secret Service wants to help them out by giving them more room to get a running start.

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If this was about fence jumpers and increased security, wouldn't it be closed all the time? My hunch is that it's shut down when Trump is going somewhere by car (which is pretty rare) or Pence is coming or going. Or perhaps when Ivanka's motorcade is coming and going--if that's the case, this is beyond absurd.