Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or is Penn. Ave. in front of the White House closed more often now?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it just me, or is Penn. Ave. in front of the White House closed more often now?

I bike commute from Virginia to near the Verizon Center, and it seems to me that the Secret Service is shutting down Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House a lot more often these days. I'm trying not to turn this into a political discussion, but before January 20, it would be closed when I go by around 8:30 a.m. about once a month, and at 5:30 to 6 p.m. about once a week. Recently, at those same times, it has been shut down in the mornings about half the time, and even more than half in the afternoon. Have others noted more frequent shutdowns, or is it that the Trump White House's schedule is just more aligned to conflict with mine than it was previously? There's no good detour going westbound for me in the afternoon. There's no legal route westbound until I get to Constitution going south or Eye Street going north, and I dislike riding on both of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just you, it seems like a more frequent yet arbitrary pain in the @ss. I am similarly stuck trying to get north and south. Kinda sucks the fun out of bike commuting.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems that it's not just bicycle infrastructure that's being cut off by the current administration's security. Our very Potomac River is facing the same security theater nonsense: http://dcist.com/2017/07/trumps_cons...ay_ruin_th.php

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely closed more frequently now. And it's getting harder not to give the building the finger when it is open.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Heading eastbound in the morning, I've adopted this route, which avoids any shutdowns in front of the whitehouse and has a bonus of being faster, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hstreetexpress.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	15175

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcb203 View Post
    There's no legal route westbound until I get to Constitution going south or Eye Street going north, and I dislike riding on both of those.
    It's legal to bike on the sidewalks around the Elipse because it's federal property. It's not a great route, but it is legal. You can also jump on the road, but you have to go clockwise, which is a bit of a detour.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking just yesterday that it's closed more often now, and I as well thought of the closing of the entire Potomac river to canoeists and kayakers just because a president wants to play golf. I could be sympathetic to security organizations in some situations, but this is just paranoid overreach.

Eastbound isn't a problem; it's westbound. I've usually gone down to the Ellipse, but it's often closed as well. So then I just slalom through clogged cars to Constitution and go around. It's not stress-free, but it isn't terrible, and I greatly prefer it to I (eye) Street.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 07-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Westbound I usually tuck in behind a sidewalk bound Segway tour that has to go around via 15th to H. If no segways, I just walk my bike. And curse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Westbound I usually tuck in behind a sidewalk bound Segway tour that has to go around via 15th to H. If no segways, I just walk my bike. And curse.
    Yeah, the SS guys have pointed me to the sidewalk before, and I just turn around. If I wanted to walk I wouldn't have brought my bike.

Post Thanks / Like

My perception is that Penn is closed a lot more, enough that they upgraded from plastic police tape to installing permanent equipment to rope off more quickly. The 15th Street side also has more frequently had barricades up except for the pylons that recess into the road.