Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crash with Bollard on ART near Bladensburg

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    A post to fuel the debate about bollards, especially those that are in the worst possible location.
    Actually, I don't think this one fuels any debate at all. I believe there is unanimity regarding the idiocy and danger of these two.

2. Likes Sunyata, bobco85, Brett L. liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like someone needs to figure out what agency maintains this trail, and talk to that agency about removing these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Aren't the bollards under a bridge?
    Yes. Just in front of the trolls. Basically right underneath the edge of each side of the bridge. I'd be happy to engage in a Remove Useless Bollards (RUB) campaign on these ones. Does anyone have any idea which government entity owns them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Sounds like someone needs to figure out what agency maintains this trail, and talk to that agency about removing these.
    My thoughts are the MNCPPC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Actually, I don't think this one fuels any debate at all. I believe there is unanimity regarding the idiocy and danger of these two.
    Normally bollards do not bother me much. I am used to riding in close quarters with immovable objects (trees, mostly). And yes, I know that just because they do not pose much of a threat to me does not mean they are safe for others.

However, I did comment on Saturday that these bollards are extremely dangerous. Not only are they at the bottom of a hill and around a blind corner on a very narrow section of the trail, they are not where one would expect a bollard to be. If you can not anticipate the bollard, how is one to avoid them, especially when coming down a hill, around a curve, or going from bright sun to dim light under a bridge.

7. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news - it looks the PG County Parks and Rec were actively removing these bollards as of this morning!

9. Likes wheels&wings, Judd liked this post
    ELITE Steve O ELITED this post