Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Crash with Bollard on ART near Bladensburg

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Crash with Bollard on ART near Bladensburg

    A post to fuel the debate about bollards, especially those that are in the worst possible location.

    The collision with the bollard occurred under the Bladensburg Road bridge, west side of the river, on the ART. Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9385.../data=!3m1!1e3

    We were heading north after a ride to the Navy Yards, along the fantastic ART when we came to this stupid stupid location. For those who are not familiar with this section of trail, as you are approaching the bridge, you have to descend down into the valley, go around a somewhat blind curve and dodge these massive concrete bollards in the middle of the trail, that aren't even centered or perfectly vertical. The trail also narrows due to the presence of guard railing. There is a bollard on each side of the bridge, such that no vehicle can possibly enter underneath the bridge deck on the trail. These bollards make me uncomfortable even at very low speeds, and I almost always cross to the west side of the path, regardless of direction, as they aren't centered and they are most definitely off-kiltered. When we got there Sunday, several drunk fisherman were also sprawled out along the trail underneath the bridge (probably because it's sheltered from sun), making it even more perilous to navigate. Our group successfully navigated past the first bollard and the drunkards, but one of our riders struck the second bollard on her thigh, as she was focused on not hitting those idiots. Fortunately, she will only need to deal with some deep bruising on her leg and no bike damage, but it's an "accident" that didn't need to happen.

    These bollards have been bothering me for a very long time, but I have negligently not spoken up as nothing has happen, until now. I will disagree in part with Steve O, in that I think intelligent application of bollards are useful, but these bollards are in the worst possible location, very dangerous, and have now lead to injury that I have witnessed. There is ZERO point to those bollards being there, and they are a danger. If anyone reading this has power to remove them, please do so. If they are absolutely needed to protect the bridge, at least move them beyond the blind curve to the top of the hill. They are a danger to even slow moving cyclists.

  2. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
  3. #2
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Those bollards are unquestionably bad, even if one is generally (gasp) pro-bollard. It's too narrow and too steep there.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    A post to fuel the debate about bollards, especially those that are in the worst possible location.

    The collision with the bollard occurred under the Bladensburg Road bridge, west side of the river, on the ART. Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9385.../data=!3m1!1e3

    We were heading north after a ride to the Navy Yards, along the fantastic ART when we came to this stupid stupid location. For those who are not familiar with this section of trail, as you are approaching the bridge, you have to descend down into the valley, go around a somewhat blind curve and dodge these massive concrete bollards in the middle of the trail, that aren't even centered or perfectly vertical. The trail also narrows due to the presence of guard railing. There is a bollard on each side of the bridge, such that no vehicle can possibly enter underneath the bridge deck on the trail. These bollards make me uncomfortable even at very low speeds, and I almost always cross to the west side of the path, regardless of direction, as they aren't centered and they are most definitely off-kiltered. When we got there Sunday, several drunk fisherman were also sprawled out along the trail underneath the bridge (probably because it's sheltered from sun), making it even more perilous to navigate. Our group successfully navigated past the first bollard and the drunkards, but one of our riders struck the second bollard on her thigh, as she was focused on not hitting those idiots. Fortunately, she will only need to deal with some deep bruising on her leg and no bike damage, but it's an "accident" that didn't need to happen.

    These bollards have been bothering me for a very long time, but I have negligently not spoken up as nothing has happen, until now. I will disagree in part with Steve O, in that I think intelligent application of bollards are useful, but these bollards are in the worst possible location, very dangerous, and have now lead to injury that I have witnessed. There is ZERO point to those bollards being there, and they are a danger. If anyone reading this has power to remove them, please do so. If they are absolutely needed to protect the bridge, at least move them beyond the blind curve to the top of the hill. They are a danger to even slow moving cyclists.
    Went past these on Saturday with a large group and had a conversation about them being quite possibly the worst bollards of all time. I saw bikedavid wipe out on the extra slanty one during a doughnut ride. I have the power to fix them if someone will lend me an F-350 and a chain. I'll supply the asphalt soft patch.

  5. Likes wheels&wings, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Went past these on Saturday with a large group and had a conversation about them being quite possibly the worst bollards of all time. I saw bikedavid wipe out on the extra slanty one during a doughnut ride. I have the power to fix them if someone will lend me an F-350 and a chain. I'll supply the asphalt soft patch.
    I was right behind David and had the choice of riding around him or bunny hopping him, which would've ended like this or that. Good thing for both of us I swerved

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Went past these on Saturday with a large group and had a conversation about them being quite possibly the worst bollards of all time. I saw bikedavid wipe out on the extra slanty one during a doughnut ride. I have the power to fix them if someone will lend me an F-350 and a chain. I'll supply the asphalt soft patch.
    Considering they are 9-inch solid concrete, not sure that'd even be enough. Probably rebar reinforced as well. I'm tempted to go rent a concrete saw from Home Depot....

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Both of those bollards are in probably the most dangerous and hittable spots, but the one at the bottom of the slope is particularly nasty. On top of that, the bollards are also completely unnecessary because the other access points from Bladensburg Rd and side streets are already blocked off with gates.

    If you can, get a picture of the bruises and send it in a message to (insert government entity in MD that this should go to). Folks on the forum can also spread the word via social media to garner more attention to removing them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Went past these on Saturday with a large group and had a conversation about them being quite possibly the worst bollards of all time. I saw bikedavid wipe out on the extra slanty one during a doughnut ride. I have the power to fix them if someone will lend me an F-350 and a chain. I'll supply the asphalt soft patch.
    I wouldn't try it since that thing seems to be solid concrete. I think you'd wind up with an F-350 missing a few parts!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sounds like a good job for a backhoe.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Considering they are 9-inch solid concrete, not sure that'd even be enough. Probably rebar reinforced as well. I'm tempted to go rent a concrete saw from Home Depot....
    The challenge with bollard removal is that you have to do it without creating a just as dangerous stump or hole. Those ones do see concrete filled. Jackhammer rental and some asphalt patch might do it.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Sounds like a good job for a backhoe.
    A better job for explosives...

    what bollard?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    A better job for explosives...

    what bollard?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    Aren't the bollards under a bridge?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •