Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sept 9: 50 States/13 Colonies Ride

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sept 9: 50 States/13 Colonies Ride

Heeeeeey guys! Get hype for the most "DC" ride of the year! Registration opened today for WABA's 50 States and 13 Colonies rides! This year it will be on Saturday September 9.

Here's the link to the page with more information, how to register, and a link for volunteering to ride marshal: http://www.waba.org/50states

Remember, you have to be a WABA member to ride. However, they provide options for taking care of that at reg.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Every year, this ride happens on the Saturday nearest my older daughter's birthday, so every year it's the day of her birthday party. One of these times her party is going to be me taking her and her friends on the 13 Colonies ride, she just doesn't know it yet.

3. Likes Emm, Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Every year, this ride happens on the Saturday nearest my older daughter's birthday, so every year it's the day of her birthday party. One of these times her party is going to be me taking her and her friends on the 13 Colonies ride, she just doesn't know it yet.
    I mean, it ends with pizza. That's like 50% of a kids' birthday party. Add balloons, presents, and sugar and you're good to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking of volunteering for this. I would like to marshall 13 colonies, I am comfortable riding, and I guess leading (or sweeping) in traffic, and the pace of 13 colonies riders should be fine for me. But I don't have confidence in my ability to do field repairs, even to patch a tube with any speed, especially on a bike I am not familiar with. Alternatively I could volunteer to man a booth. Anyone who has marshalled this have any thoughts on what is required?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I marshalled the 13 colonies ride last year, still weighing my options for this year. It was pretty easy, fun and rewarding. I wouldn't sweat the field repairs too much - since the route is entirely in the core of the city, if something comes up that you can't fix, you're not too far from a local bike shop, or a metro station. Last year, one person in my group got a bad flat that ruined the tire, so he just limped to the Bike & Roll station at Union Station. Mostly you're navigating, keeping everyone together, and I tried to keep a little running commentary going on the history, development projects, and random trivia of the areas we were riding through. Remind people to drink if it's really hot, bring extra snacks and offer them to your group. And you get to do the ride for free, free tee shirt, a free beer, and a Chipotle burrito. I'd say the most challenging part of the experience was rounding everyone up after the lunch pitstop. We lost a few riders who joined other groups, and gained a few riders who were separated from theirs. Good luck, you won't regret it!

7. Likes drevil, jrenaut, lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are so diligent Ted. I have never ridden 50 States with an official marshal. Did it one year following Eric Guilliland (sp?). Didn't have to look at my cue sheet for 20 miles. (Then I lost track of him.) Michael B. of Friday Coffee Club was awesome in 2014. Also, not official. Knows the city cold.

One bit of advice. If you're going to be a marshal, don't cluster with the other marshals. (Unless they need some help.) Defeats the purpose.

Also if you see an old guy on a Cross Check with a massive saddle bag, fumbling with and cursing at the cue sheet leave him alone to his misery. He (i.e., I) has done this a few times. He deserves no help or pity.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point about not bunching up with other marshalls, John, I forgot to mention that, thanks!

10. Likes Rootchopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I am thinking of volunteering for this. I would like to marshall 13 colonies, I am comfortable riding, and I guess leading (or sweeping) in traffic, and the pace of 13 colonies riders should be fine for me. But I don't have confidence in my ability to do field repairs, even to patch a tube with any speed, especially on a bike I am not familiar with. Alternatively I could volunteer to man a booth. Anyone who has marshalled this have any thoughts on what is required?
    I am volunteeting for the 13 colonies ride too! Its not too hard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I am volunteering for the 13 colonies ride too! Its not too hard

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all! Here is a bump for HYPE!

50 States/13 Colonies is THIS WEEKEND! I don't want to say anything yet, but the weather is looking... superior to what we've seen in the past. Who is coming out?

This year they're doing a rolling start to help with the registration issues of last year. I've been assigned the 7:45am slot if you want to ride with someone familiar. Otherwise I'll be the marshal in my Michigan State Spartans jersey with "Kitty" written on my helmet. Come say Hi!

14. Likes streetsmarts, Judd liked this post