Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I love my commute from Bethesda to DC now, but what happens in the fall/winter?

Post Thanks / Like

I love that this thread has been hijacked with Judd's mountain biking adventures!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3309.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	15248

Name:	IMG_3313.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	15249

Name:	IMG_3336.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	15250

Name:	IMG_3339.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	15251

Name:	IMG_3347.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	15252
    Last edited by Sunyata; 07-26-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Here, let me hijack it some more with photos!

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I love that this thread has been hijacked with Judd's mountain biking adventures!
    Haha, oops! I'll repost on the picture thread

So yeah, OP, use a light and reflectors and you should be all good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Haha, oops! I'll repost on the picture thread

So yeah, OP, use a light and reflectors and you should be all good
    Didn't you guys make fun of me cause my mountain bike has reflectors? This seems like hypocritical advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Didn't you guys make fun of me cause my mountain bike has reflectors? This seems like hypocritical advice.
    I didn't make fun of your reflectors. But in general, I think reflectors are a good idea for any bikes that are ridden on the road. They're there for cars.

On dirt and singletrack, completely devoid of cars, I think that rear reflectors and blinkers are actually hazardous at night because they can blind or distract the people behind you.

Post Thanks / Like

Where was this pic from? Doesn't look like Germantown to me

Judd will be assimilated...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Where was this pic from? Doesn't look like Germantown to me
    38.8252633, -077.2223200 aka Wakefield Park

Name:	2017-07-27_14-49-48.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	15260
    Last edited by drevil; 07-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't make fun of your reflectors. But in general, I think reflectors are a good idea for any bikes that are ridden on the road. They're there for cars.

On dirt and singletrack, completely devoid of cars, I think that rear reflectors and blinkers are actually hazardous at night because they can blind or distract the people behind you.
    I can see that for lights (blinky or otherwise). But for reflectors? They merely reflect back the light shined on them. If your headlight is so bright that the light from it reflected back to you is blinding you, then that headlight will be even more blinding to an oncoming cyclist. Don't blame the reflector -- that headlight is just way too bright for a trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I can see that for lights (blinky or otherwise). But for reflectors? They merely reflect back the light shined on them. If your headlight is so bright that the light from it reflected back to you is blinding you, then that headlight will be even more blinding to an oncoming cyclist. Don't blame the reflector -- that headlight is just way too bright for a trail.
    You have obviously never gone mountain biking at night...

Bright lights are pretty much mandatory for riding single track at night as you need to be able to see the obstacles in the trail well before you get to them in order to navigate safely and efficiently. IF (which is rare) there is another cyclist coming towards you, one of you (the person going downhill) will stop to allow the other rider to pass and shield your light or point it away from the other rider. Mountain biking is a completely different culture and experience than commuting or road riding.

11. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    You have obviously never gone mountain biking at night...

Bright lights are pretty much mandatory for riding single track at night as you need to be able to see the obstacles in the trail well before you get to them in order to navigate safely and efficiently. IF (which is rare) there is another cyclist coming towards you, one of you (the person going downhill) will stop to allow the other rider to pass and shield your light or point it away from the other rider. Mountain biking is a completely different culture and experience than commuting or road riding.
    +1.

In mountain biking, everyone brings their brightest lights, and it's usually helmet mounted because it's easier to follow the trail than if it was on your handlebar. There are so many twists, turns, bumps, jumps, and occasionally animals, that the brighter the light, the better. The thing is when you approach another group, you turn your light away from them or cover it up so you don't blind the oncoming group. Also, since we're usually on tight singletrack, you slow way down (or even pull over if going downhill) when approaching the oncoming group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Didn't you guys make fun of me cause my mountain bike has reflectors?
    Yes.

14. Likes Sunyata, Judd liked this post