Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    �� Heads up for tonight's commute/evening adventure: Cone detours are in place at Lynn and Lee in Rosslyn, near the entrance to the Mt. Vernon Trail as the curb ramp at the intersection is repoured. Watch for curbs and look out for each other!
    Lil Video From Key towards Rosslyn here: https://twitter.com/BikeArlington/st...53821564510213
    Might this be finished by Saturday morning?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    "Cross here." Mid block. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So it's more like "Detour here" but I guess that sign is not in the standard sign kit? You travel through a cone-delineated lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Might this be finished by Saturday morning?
    According to the intel I received, it should be gone by this evening. So I'm hopeful it's a one afternoon problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Since you were there, did you tell them to put down a piece of plywood or something to make a ramp? Or will every cyclist need to either dismount to go up the curb or do a bunny hop?
    The curbs were also my concern, for folks on wheels of all types. These guys also had no plywood for ramps. And aren't you prepping for cyclocross?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I can't imagine they would keep 2 lanes of Lynn blocked off during the afternoon rush hour. If they poured concrete, no doubt it will be a CF, but likely different from the pictures and video. It may be a good day to complete the Arlington Loop for the afternoon commute.
    I'm headed a different direction this evening, but share what you see if you do roll by! I think you're right in thinking it will change-- county staff was planning to be on-hand when the workers took off for the night, to supervise any changes to the travel flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Since you were there, did you tell them to put down a piece of plywood or something to make a ramp? Or will every cyclist need to either dismount to go up the curb or do a bunny hop?
    IF they do put down a sheet of plywood, I suggest that we call it the "Steve Offutt Memorial Bike Ramp" similar to the excellent Wayne F. Anderson Bikeway.

7. Likes streetsmarts, Emm, bobco85, sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    River Road in MoCo now has bike lanes starting at Little Falls Road and extending all the way to the Beltway ramps, striped as part of recent repaving projects. Note that in Maryland, these are MANDATORY for cyclists.

You would think one would not need to say for a posted 45 mph road with a nice, smooth shoulder, but I saw a cyclist riding slowly uphill outside the bike lane just this morning.
    They striped most of that in last year, though the bike lanes abruptly "end" at every single intersection where the right turn lanes are. It's not a good design as they should have painted in sharrows or merge stripes on the turning lanes. Instead they just put a closed off solid line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    I'm headed a different direction this evening, but share what you see if you do roll by! I think you're right in thinking it will change-- county staff was planning to be on-hand when the workers took off for the night, to supervise any changes to the travel flow.
    All was well this morning. Newly poured concrete section was wide open.

10. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    All was well this morning. Newly poured concrete section was wide open.
    All clear by 6 PM yesterday -- thanks to dagesh and the PAL Ambassadors for reporting and to DES staff for working to set things straight with Washington Gas and VDOT!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170713_171915.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	15136

12. Likes streetsmarts, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Northbound on Eads at 23d

Arlington DES made some changes to northbound Eads at 23d near Crystal City. They took a few parking spaces by the 7-11 to create a dedicated turn lane. There are some flex posts to help with motorist training. Cyclists will now be near the flexposts to the left of the right-turning motorists.

Motorists are likely to be a bit confused. Keep your head on a swivel and as Marko Ramius suggests, "Give them a wide berth"

I observed a couple of motorists succumbing to confusion and turning right from the center lane.