Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: July 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I was on the W&OD yesterday. I am happy to report that the Belmont Ridge Road overpass above the trail is now open which means that there is one fewer road crossing on the W&OD. There is still a lot of construction but this is a great improvement.

2. Likes Subby, vern, Sunyata, Starduster, KLizotte and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is now green striping on Fairfax Dr. at the Glebe Rd Intersection. It is great! It shows the drivers where the bikes are supposed to be while going through the intersection, so hopefully they won't veer into us. It also shows some of those cyclists who do not get the right turn lane being on the right side of the bike lane where they should be (and stopping in front of the cars in the turn lane is not it, but I have seen many move over there and later go straight).

4. Likes vern liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There is now a detour at the CCT trailhead in front of the Canoe Club. Not really onerous or anything, but there are lots of construction workers wandering around.

6. Likes ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Due to ongoing construction at King St/Beauregard St in Alexandria, NE-bound Beauregard St in Alexandria has the 2 (straight/right turn) lanes on the right closed as one approaches the intersection. The sidewalk on that side is also closed, so no hopping onto it to get past. Traffic is unsurprisingly congested, but drivers seem to be giving enough room on the right for a bike to fit through without trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Enfant Plaza SW heading north is closed to traffic due to construction. If you're biking from 9th St to the Case Bridge though you can just bike around the barricades. The construction itself doesn't start until after you need to cross over to get to the bridge.

Also, another broken bottle on the MVT by the airport fencing. Looks like I'll be taking an alternate route home to avoid it since NPS has pretty much stopped trying to deal with all the broken glass it seems like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Also, another broken bottle on the MVT by the airport fencing. Looks like I'll be taking an alternate route home to avoid it since NPS has pretty much stopped trying to deal with all the broken glass it seems like.
    There was an NPS worker cleaning up the glass around 830a and I pointed him to the large pile north of the north airport overpass, so hopefully all is clean on the way home.

10. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    There was an NPS worker cleaning up the glass around 830a and I pointed him to the large pile north of the north airport overpass, so hopefully all is clean on the way home.
    That's a plus. I've been reporting it every day or two and so far a good portion of the glass I've reported hasn't been cleaned up. I hope they're able to get more consistent about cleaning it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    That's a plus. I've been reporting it every day or two and so far a good portion of the glass I've reported hasn't been cleaned up. I hope they're able to get more consistent about cleaning it.
    Please also keep reporting to the Park Police: 703-285-1000.

The more reporting, the more likely they'll allocate resources towards investigating/capturing whomever is doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

13. Likes Steve O, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    I guess that nothing much has happened this month.

A few things to report. I will do them individually.

Does anyone know why they introduced a very short detour just west of the Belmont Ridge Road intersection on the W&OD? I know of course that they are building an overpass for BR Road, but this goes around a hole west of the intersection. They even paved the detour and painted a line.
    The short detour had been eliminated when I was there yesterday (Friday).

Post Thanks / Like

Tree down blocking the Custis Trail between the corkscrew and the Spout Run overpass. If going east, you can get off the trail after the corkscrew, go through the Lee Highway shops parking lot past the Giant and then take the ramp back on the Custis.