Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

I guess that nothing much has happened this month.

A few things to report. I will do them individually.

Does anyone know why they introduced a very short detour just west of the Belmont Ridge Road intersection on the W&OD? I know of course that they are building an overpass for BR Road, but this goes around a hole west of the intersection. They even paved the detour and painted a line.

Post Thanks / Like

There is currently (well an hour ago) a detour on the MV Trail side of the IoD where there was a longer detour a few weeks ago. Unless I missed the correct way to do things, it requires one to go over the curb.

Post Thanks / Like

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but does anyone know what the purpose of paving a trail over the old bridge just west of Georgetown on the CCT and connecting it to the CCT on both sides? I am sure that anyone who uses the CCT in that area has seen this. Is this going to be the scenic CCT route?
    Last edited by ursus; 07-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    There is currently (well an hour ago) a detour on the MV Trail side of the IoD where there was a longer detour a few weeks ago. Unless I missed the correct way to do things, it requires one to go over the curb.
    I mentioned this to a worker, and he agreed that a little ramp would be a nice improvement, but they did not bring a sheet of plywood or anything with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    They seem to get this activity finished by the thick of rush hour (~5:15 when I went by, anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

River Road in MoCo now has bike lanes starting at Little Falls Road and extending all the way to the Beltway ramps, striped as part of recent repaving projects. Note that in Maryland, these are MANDATORY for cyclists.

You would think one would not need to say for a posted 45 mph road with a nice, smooth shoulder, but I saw a cyclist riding slowly uphill outside the bike lane just this morning.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 07-12-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

🚨 Heads up for tonight's commute/evening adventure: Cone detours are in place at Lynn and Lee in Rosslyn, near the entrance to the Mt. Vernon Trail as the curb ramp at the intersection is repoured. Watch for curbs and look out for each other!
    Lil Video From Key towards Rosslyn here: https://twitter.com/BikeArlington/st...53821564510213
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

"Cross here." Mid block. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
     Heads up for tonight's commute/evening adventure: Cone detours are in place at Lynn and Lee in Rosslyn, near the entrance to the Mt. Vernon Trail as the curb ramp at the intersection is repoured. Watch for curbs and look out for each other!
    Since you were there, did you tell them to put down a piece of plywood or something to make a ramp? Or will every cyclist need to either dismount to go up the curb or do a bunny hop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Since you were there, did you tell them to put down a piece of plywood or something to make a ramp? Or will every cyclist need to either dismount to go up the curb or do a bunny hop?
    I can't imagine they would keep 2 lanes of Lynn blocked off during the afternoon rush hour. If they poured concrete, no doubt it will be a CF, but likely different from the pictures and video. It may be a good day to complete the Arlington Loop for the afternoon commute.