Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Bikeneticrit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dirty Bikeneticrit

I missed it last year and it looked like a blast. I do have one question before I register (which will apply to the rest of CX season, really):

Last year was my first year racing cross (all bike racing, actually) and so I raced in Cat 5. I did okay; the closest I came to a podium was when I rested my beer on it to take a bike pic. Usually, though, I'd finish in the top 1/3ish of the group. In an effort to maintain my approach of "don't-take-yourself-too-seriously-but-maintain-a-few-shreds-of-good-ol'-competitiveness" will I get my doors blown off if I move to cat 4 or 4/5? Or is it recommended that I continue to build experience with another season or half-season of cat 5?

Something tells me to just cat up, but the sixth-year senior in me says "meh, let's not rush into anything here".

Mostly I'm looking to see what's worked for other folks in the forum. I look forward to seeing you guys out there!

Cheers,
    CT

P.S: any head's ups on CX clinics would be great!

https://www.bikereg.com/dirtybikeneticrit

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have upgraded to a Cat 4 with USAC, you will not be able to race in a Cat 4 (only) race. Luckily for you, there is no Cat 4 (only) race! Even more luckily, you can actually do BOTH the Cat 4/5 and the Cat 5 races if you wanted!

Speaking from a cyclocross perspective (I do not even own a bike with less than 38mm tires on it), Cat 5 is generally strictly for beginners. If you have less than 10 races in you (and are not coming in top 10 on a regular basis and are uncomfortable racing with faster riders), you will race Cat 5. Once you hit that 10 race threshold, you should upgrade to Cat 4. If you ARE coming in top 10 or are really comfortable racing with faster riders, then you should go ahead and race Cat 4/5 until you hit your 10 races and then cat up to Cat 4 (but can still race in the 4/5 category). If you podium at least once in a Cat 5 race, you should immediately start racing 4/5 until you hit your 10 races then cat up (and can still race in the 4/5 unless you are coming in top 10, then go up to 3/4). Obviously, if you hit your mandatory upgrade points prior to 10 races, then you should cat up as well.

I guess for a beginner, race in whichever field you are most comfortable in that you license will allow you to race. If you feel better racing with just beginners, stick to the Cat 5 race. If you are faster and want more competition, do the 4/5 race.

Either way, I will be there cheering you on and will patch you up if you crash (you will NOT crash!).

3. Likes ChampionTier, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Unless you have upgraded to a Cat 4 with USAC, you will not be able to race in a Cat 4 (only) race. Luckily for you, there is no Cat 4 (only) race! Even more luckily, you can actually do BOTH the Cat 4/5 and the Cat 5 races if you wanted!

Speaking from a cyclocross perspective (I do not even own a bike with less than 38mm tires on it), Cat 5 is generally strictly for beginners. If you have less than 10 races in you (and are not coming in top 10 on a regular basis and are uncomfortable racing with faster riders), you will race Cat 5. Once you hit that 10 race threshold, you should upgrade to Cat 4. If you ARE coming in top 10 or are really comfortable racing with faster riders, then you should go ahead and race Cat 4/5 until you hit your 10 races and then cat up to Cat 4 (but can still race in the 4/5 category). If you podium at least once in a Cat 5 race, you should immediately start racing 4/5 until you hit your 10 races then cat up (and can still race in the 4/5 unless you are coming in top 10, then go up to 3/4). Obviously, if you hit your mandatory upgrade points prior to 10 races, then you should cat up as well.

I guess for a beginner, race in whichever field you are most comfortable in that you license will allow you to race. If you feel better racing with just beginners, stick to the Cat 5 race. If you are faster and want more competition, do the 4/5 race.

Either way, I will be there cheering you on and will patch you up if you crash (you will NOT crash!).
    What if - like me - you consistently get bottom 10 in your Cat 5 races. Is there a Cat 6?

I secretly wish they'd throw in a lot more logs, like 16" or taller, to even the playing field for me
    Last edited by drevil; 07-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.

5. Likes Subby, Sunyata, ChampionTier, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I give this response an A+! All is much clearer to me now. I was leaning toward the 4/5 for the 20th; I think I'll hit my 10th race shortly after the season starts.

(you will NOT crash!).
    My mantra after passing the nasty pile-up at Monster Cross!

7. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno - that 4/5 field is looking pretty well stacked so far. Quite a few strong CX riders that are only racing the 4/5 because it's a USAC Road sanctioned event, and they rarely race road, therefore, they're not able to race the lower Cat. races, or are doubling up with the open 35/45+. The 4/5 field is definitely not soft.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Even a cat-5 race is not a soft race by MTB or gravel standards. Road racing gets pretty extreme fitness.

11. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Even a cat-5 race is not a soft race by MTB or gravel standards. Road racing gets pretty extreme fitness.
    Yeah, and just a reminder to the OP, this is a crit, not a CX race, so USAC road categories apply. You could be a Cat1 CX'er or Cat1 MTB'er, but if you haven't toe'd the line in a road race ever, you'd be a Cat5 for Bikenetic DirtyCrit.

All that aside, I can't wait! Super fun course where roadies like me don't have to get off the bike for those spots where some goon put boards across the race course! LOL That's dangerous!!!

relevant. :wink:

13. Likes Steve O, hozn, Judd, ChampionTier, drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Yeah, and just a reminder to the OP, this is a crit, not a CX race, so USAC road categories apply. You could be a Cat1 CX'er or Cat1 MTB'er, but if you haven't toe'd the line in a road race ever, you'd be a Cat5 for Bikenetic DirtyCrit.

All that aside, I can't wait! Super fun course where roadies like me don't have to get off the bike for those spots where some goon put boards across the race course! LOL That's dangerous!!!
    I rescind my comment in my response to Sunyata: Cat 5 it is -- never road raced. Either way I'm looking forward to it; I s'pose I can wait a month or so for the boards to come back!

Every second of this video is pure gold!

15. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG. That was HILARIOUS!

17. Likes Steve O liked this post
    rcannon100 is online now Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Isnt this grotesque race this weekend??

19. Likes drevil, Sunyata, Judd liked this post