Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Fun Club - Lotus and Water Lily Festival - July 16th

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fun Club - Lotus and Water Lily Festival - July 16th

What: Bicycle Fun Club Ride to Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens for the Lotus and Water Lily Festival
    When: Sunday, July 16th, 9:30 a.m. departure
    Start: Crystal City Water Park
    Route: It's about 12.5 miles one way. We'll take Long Branch > 14th St Bridge > Case Bridge > I Street > 3rd St > Anacostia River Trail West Bank > Kenilworth Garden

Things to know:
    The Aquatic Gardens are located right off the Anacostia River Trail
    The path to the Aquatic gardens is a mix of gravel, grass and dirt with some roots. I had no trouble on 25s when scouting for this event.
    Bring a lock. Bike riding is prohibited within the gardens. A cable lock should do. There are racks in the Gardens that aren't great.
    There is a ranger guided tour at 11.
    More info on the festival: https://www.nps.gov/keaq/planyourvis...y-festival.htm

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: I am a Murlander and meeting at the Crystal City Water Park is far/scary.
    A: That's more of a statement, than a question, but feel free to meet us at the Aquatic Gardens instead. We should be there around 10:30.

Q: I'm going to be really tired from the Tour de Pharmacy and Kitty Climate Ride Fundraiser
    A: We really need to work on the definition of question with you. I'm going to be tired too, which is why the ride starts a bit later in the morning. The Aquatic Center is serene and has lots of shade. You can take a nap there if you want.

Q: What if I'm hungry afterwards?
    A: Judd Lumberjack rarely passes through Navy Yard without a stop at Bluejacket for food and beer.

Q: Can I mark this ride as a commute on Strava?
    A: Absolutely not. You will be immediately kicked off the ride and then beaten with a dictionary.

Q: Is this the best casual group fun ride around?
    A: Yes, unlike some other competing group rides, no one has ever gotten herpes during a Bicycle Fun Club Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Judd, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds lovely. Can you add it to the calendar?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Also what pace (ish) are you thinking? Asking because given the terrain you described I'm wondering if my hybrid would be a good idea. But of course it's slower.

Post Thanks / Like

great write up. question: what time should i meet you and where.
    ha.

thanks, i was hoping to join another fun ride soon!!

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    great write up. question: what time should i meet you and where.
    ha.

!!
    Why I oughta.... ::shakes fist::

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    Kitty and I passed the Proteus folks on this ride. Huge group! I hope they still look as nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Also what pace (ish) are you thinking? Asking because given the terrain you described I'm wondering if my hybrid would be a good idea. But of course it's slower.

Usually a 13-14ish average pace. You should bring the road bike. All of the riding is on streets and trails except for the last 200 hundred yards.

Post Thanks / Like

Question: What if I want to go mountain biking instead and then meet you guys at Bluejacket? What time will you be there (and what time will you leave)?

Which speaking of... YOU should want to go mountain biking instead also. (Seriously, we should go for a bike ride, soon!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Question: What if I want to go mountain biking instead and then meet you guys at Bluejacket? What time will you be there (and what time will you leave)?

Which speaking of... YOU should want to go mountain biking instead also. (Seriously, we should go for a bike ride, soon!)
    I anticipate Bluejacket around 12:45ish. I don't have anything else going on Sunday so I can probably hang around for a while.

Are you still doing Tuesday nights at Wakefield?