Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Heart Alexandria Loop - Group Ride Thursday, July 13

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Heart Alexandria Loop - Group Ride Thursday, July 13

Hey all, on Thursday, July 13, I'm going to lead a heart-shaped ride around Alexandria. The route is my attempt at creating a loop that answers the following question: Where can I ride my bike to get a tour of Alexandria?

There already exists an Arlington Loop (which has been widely successful), so let's have one for the city of Alexandria!

Ride details:
    • Location - Port City Brewing Company - 3950 Wheeler Ave, Alexandria, VA
    • Date/Time - Thursday, July 13, at 6:00 p.m. - wheels rolling at 6:05 p.m.
    • Route - https://www.strava.com/routes/8545058 & http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1659150830
    • Ride length: 20 miles, likely 1.5-2 hours to complete
    • Fitness/experience - some hills, comfortable with on-street riding at moderate pace
    • All riders should have a front white light and rear red light on their bicycles
    • Post-ride thirst to be quenched at Port City

This ride will show off many of Alexandria's fine biking facilities including: Holmes Run Trail, Eisenhower Ave Trail, Wilkes Street Bikeway, Royal Street bike route, Jones Point Park bicycle-training grounds, Mount Vernon Trail, Potomac Yard Trail, Four Mile Run Park Trail, Van Dorn St buffered bike lanes, Seminary Rd pedestrian bridge, and more.

I hope to ride with y'all soon!

2. Likes Starduster, streetsmarts, Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaaah perfect, a late but still light ride while my husband's outta town.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

4. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This ride will show off many of Alexandria's fine biking facilities including: Holmes Run Trail, Eisenhower Ave Trail, Wilkes Street Bikeway, Royal Street bike route, Jones Point Park bicycle-training grounds, Mount Vernon Trail, Potomac Yard Trail, Four Mile Run Park Trail, Van Dorn St buffered bike lanes, Seminary Rd pedestrian bridge, and more.
    But not the Wayne F. Anderson Bikeway?!?

6. Likes bobco85, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thursday is expected to be really hot and humid, so make sure you bring extra water. The refreshments at the end will also help (it is Port City Brewery, after all)

Also, I'm adding a few blocks onto the route so that I can show folks something I think is really cool, but I won't spoil it!

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    But not the Wayne F. Anderson Bikeway?!?
    My apologies! We will ride for about a quarter of a mile on the WFAB.

8. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bobco,
    I can't make the ride, but might use some cold refreshment. If so, I'd meet you all at Port City about 8 or so.

Question: I've never ridden over there; Google maps says to take Duke or Eisenhower (I'm coming from near West St. & Braddock Rd.) Anyone have a suggestion?

10. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Hi Bobco,
    I can't make the ride, but might use some cold refreshment. If so, I'd meet you all at Port City about 8 or so.
    Awesome! We should finish the ride before 8, so we'll see you inside!

Question: I've never ridden over there; Google maps says to take Duke or Eisenhower (I'm coming from near West St. & Braddock Rd.) Anyone have a suggestion?
    Since I'd like to see you alive, don't use Duke St! I recommend this route (starts from Braddock Rd Metro): https://goo.gl/maps/EpRMUT9kAom I sometimes ride that route as part of larger loops going through the area, and that portion of Mill Rd is pretty okay for riding.

12. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bobco,

1. Duke Street out there sucks.

2. If you go down to the Eisenhower trail to the Holmes run trail there is a park (Tarleton) with a short gravel trail that wiggles through basically to near the far end of Wheeler ave, which the brewery is on. You might not exactly feel safe there unaccompanied at night though.

14. Likes bobco85, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's gonna be a hot heart today!

Looking forward to the ride, Bob! Nadine and I are convoying down, leaving the WOD/Custis junction at 5:15 in case anyone else wants to join us.

16. Likes bobco85, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat as streetsmarts -- I can't join for the ride, but I'll try to get to Port City by 8 or so to enjoy some liquid refreshment.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm at work until 5:30, but I'm gonna see if I can swing by the afterparty.