Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Champion Tree Ride 7/1 at 10am at Barcroft Park in Arlington

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arlington (Columbia Heights)
    Posts
    318
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Champion Tree Ride 7/1 at 10am at Barcroft Park in Arlington

    Champion Tree Bicycle Ride – 10am on 7/1

    Arlington’s Acting Urban Forest Manager, Vincent Verweij, will be leading a champion tree bicycle ride. No sign up is required. Just show up at Barcroft Community Center at 10am for the 2 hour ride. We will admire some of the champions of nearby Barcroft Park. (Like the Arlington Forestry page on Facebook to learn of future such events.)

    This will be an easy ride of 3-6 miles. (Not sure what route Vincent has planned.) While the ride will be short, Vincent and the trees are impressive.

  2. Likes bobco85 liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd like to see ChampionTier go on the Champion Tree Ride.

    I had to google what a champion tree is. It's a big tree. There's a registry of big trees online:

    http://www.americanforests.org/explo...onal-register/

  4. Likes AFHokie liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    1,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's some more information on Champion Trees in Arlington.

    What Makes a Tree a Champion? https://environment.arlingtonva.us/t...tree-champion/

    List of Champion Trees in Arlington (also lists each tree's exact location on a map): https://environment.arlingtonva.us/t...hampion-trees/

    Judd, sorry, man, but you are not allowed to access this information or go on the ride. We all know what your last name is, and it's best for the trees

  6. Likes AFHokie, Steve O, Emm, wheels&wings liked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hmm. From your link we learn that
    "A Champion Tree is the largest specimen of its species.....
    Ratings are determined by adding three numbers:
    Circumference or girth (in inches)
    Height (in feet)
    25% of average crown spread (in feet)
    High score wins."

    Bigger is not always better. Just sayin'.

  8. Likes Sunyata, Amalitza liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Hmm. From your link we learn that
    "A Champion Tree is the largest specimen of its species.....
    Ratings are determined by adding three numbers:
    Circumference or girth (in inches)
    Height (in feet)
    25% of average crown spread (in feet)
    High score wins."

    Bigger is not always better. Just sayin'.
    I'm pretty sure that I'm a Champion Judd. Compared to Judd Nelson, Judd Apatow and Judd Hirsch. Though I'm not sure how to measure my crown spread.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

    Judd, sorry, man, but you are not allowed to access this information or go on the ride. We all know what your last name is, and it's best for the trees

    I'm going to have to upgrade to one of these for the Champion Trees: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...-xp/965960701/

    42 inch bar on this bad boy! That's 3.5 feet of saw. ::swoon::

  11. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    1,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm going to have to upgrade to one of these for the Champion Trees: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...-xp/965960701/

    42 inch bar on this bad boy! That's 3.5 feet of saw. ::swoon::
    (shakes finger disapprovingly) A leopard never changes its spots.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm going to have to upgrade to one of these for the Champion Trees: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...-xp/965960701/

    42 inch bar on this bad boy! That's 3.5 feet of saw. ::swoon::
    Only 42 inches?

    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...al-saws/ms880/ is good for up to 59.

  14. ELITE Judd ELITED this post
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Only 42 inches?

    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...al-saws/ms880/ is good for up to 59.
    So... if you guys have been thinking about a group birthday present for me, this is what I want.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •