Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bike Fit and Clipless Pedals

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some Five Ten Dirtbags I got a few years ago online - fairly cheap, grip well, wide for their size. Probably my go to for flat cycling shoes, though I also have a pair of "forged rubber" Chromes that definitely look less dorky. For flat pedals I have some UK brand (Nukeproof), also bought online. I think almost any decent shoes would grip great on these, although it may wear our your sole fast. Definitely would recommend shin guards if you're doing anything where you might hit your shins!

2. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

This is consistent with my experience. But read the comments to the vid as well, which are consistent with the pro-flats arguments being made here (25 years of clipless v one hour of flats is a bad comparison)

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched the video, but the pedals pictured there definitely don't look like grippy flats.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. That was a big comment from the peanut gallery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I have the Five Ten Freerider model. The size 13 fits nicely (wide enough; I wear a Specialized 48 [in regular width, which is wider than many shoes]). But I probably would not buy then again since I don't ride with flats much (bought for unicycle) and the soles are really uncomfortable after awhile. I need to check if insoles can be replaced; that might fix them for me.
    How's the quality of Five Ten Freerider? I'm thinking of buying a pair next month.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdricks View Post
    How's the quality of Five Ten Freerider? I'm thinking of buying a pair next month.
    They seem good, though honestly they are uncomfortable enough that I haven't worn them much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdricks View Post
    I am on my third pair in five years and I am pretty hard on them. But to be frank, the first pair I owned, I just gave to a friend with bigger feet, since they were a men's size and too big for me. I bought the second pair because they were "women's sized" (basically just came in smaller sizes, but the same last) and they fit okay and lasted about three years before the sole started to fail. I ended up buying the newest version (Freerider Pro's) a few months ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are much lighter than the older version, fit much better (narrower women's last, which for me is great), and dry MUCH quicker.

I expect these to last another three years with similar use as my old pair.