Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arlington Historical Bike Ride (No Drop Ride)

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to hear the Cherrydale story too. Though perhaps it's that they were just not welcome in North Arlington? Because what is now Congregation Etz Chaim, but earlier Arlington-Fairfax Jewish Center (or just ArFax) has been around on Rte 50 since the 1940s.

2. Likes Nadine liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out. I plan on going to the Tour de Fat, too, so I wanted to make sure there was a buffer of a few hours between both.
    Just so you know, TdeF is not free this year. Its $25, and I don't think that includes any beer. I am not interested enough in the bands to make it worth my while to attend (but of course it will still benefit local biking orgs - but don't expect the crowds of years past)

4. Likes Starduster, bobco85 liked this post
  5. 07-01-2017, 09:05 AM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Reason
    Mistake

6. 07-01-2017, 09:30 AM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I will delete mine if you will delete yours, eh?

8. Likes Judd, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Actually, they weren't there yet. It's on July 22.
    Interestingly, as a bonus- er, I mean, side effect - of my steroids granting me the ability to NOT fall asleep for much of last night (Friday was luckily the last day of my prescription), I did actually visualize and auralize the whole ride in my mind 2 times over which included traveling between stops and everything I plan on talking about at each stop. There's a slight chance that a projection of myself led the group ride with projections of all participants weeks ahead of time and lordofthemark just missed us. That made my brain hurt, but it's the best explanation I can conjure right now.

10. Likes Boomer2U, Nadine, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally I would be running my own shop ride from Papillon Cycles on Saturday morning. But this is special enough that I don't want to step on it. We can give you extra publicity on our social media pages.

12. Likes Nadine, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Normally I would be running my own shop ride from Papillon Cycles on Saturday morning. But this is special enough that I don't want to step on it. We can give you extra publicity on our social media pages.
    Cool, that'd be great! I have no idea currently how many people are planning to join the ride, but I appreciate the offer.

Even if you want to still do a ride, you can always join us en route afterwards to get the rest of the historical facts. On that note, I've accumulated about 5 pages of notes on said historical facts that I am working to whittle down.

Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Thank you for spreading the word!

17. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick update: I am adding another planned rest stop to the ride since the weather is expected to be hot. The 2nd rest stop will be in Rosslyn at the Rite Aid next to the Rosslyn Metro near the 17 mile mark of the ride. I will also be conscientious to make sure we stop in the shade whenever possible.

This means we will have breaks around the 9.5-mile (Minor's Hill) and 17-mile (Rosslyn Metro) marks which will split the 26-mile ride into thirds. Keep cool, everyone!

19. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning to go on the ride. My wife and kids just left to visit her family in Germany, so I've got three weeks of low-guilt weekend/evening biking. (There's still a little guilt, because I have a long list of projects I should be doing!)

Anyway, I was wondering if you might consider moving the start time up at least an hour, because of the high heat. They're predicting a heat index of 91 at 9am and 99 by 1pm. Then I still need to bike back to Vienna. (I don't think it would be fair to subject others on the Metro with my sweaty state after the ride.)

Also, I haven't heard if others are going. Do you have a rough head count?