Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Arlington Historical Bike Ride (No Drop Ride)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    First off, thank you to everyone for coming on this hot, humid, and ultimately wet ride! I was told that the count was around 25 people, and I'm ecstatic that mostly everything went well. We had to call off the last few stops due to the incoming thunderstorm (having people go up onto a mountain ridge during a thunderstorm isn't a good idea), so I promised to give notes on the missing stops. I'll put just the notes from my notecards in a bite-size but hopefully readable fashion.

• Stop #1 - Shirlington
      • Arlington
        • Arlington County named after Arlington House (old Custis-Lee estate in present-day Arlington National Cemetery)
        • Arlington House named after Arlington Plantation (Custis family homestead in VA Eastern Shore; you can see Custis family grave)
        • Arlington Plantation named for Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington in 17th Century CE England - never set foot in VA
      • Shirlington
        • Henry Garnett Shirley
          • Commissioner of VA Department of Highways
          • Promoted 1st limited-access highway between VA Route 1 and 14th St Bridge (now I-395)
          • Died before I-395 was built, but it was named after him
        • Shirlington developed after Shirley Highway was built, named after the highway
      • Campbell Avenue - named after the Campbells
        • Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell
          • Arlingtonian, 1st woman in VA to be elected to a school board
          • Mid-1950's became head of Greater Washington Educational Television Association
          • WETA came from this and is currently the 3rd largest public television station in the US
        • Edmund D Campbell
          • Lawyer who promoted civil rights
          • Lead attorney in 1958 case (James v. Almond) which overturned VA's "Massive Resistance" laws which had been used to closed all public schools that were going to integrate after the 1954 (Brown v. Board of Education) ruling

• Stop #2 - Arlington Mill
      • Arlington Mill
        • Grist Mill built in 1836 by George Washington Parke Custis
        • Destroyed during the Civil War
      • Dr. John Woolverton Barcroft
        • Physician and inventor, rebuilt Arlington Mill
        • Arlington Mill had the largest mill wheel on the East Coast
        • Mill was destroyed in a fire in 1920
        • Present-day Jim's Automotive at the end of 10th St S was built on its foundations
        • Barcroft neighborhood named after him
        • Lake Barcroft named after him because he owned a house on the lake
        • Also owned a mill just downstream of Lake Barcroft on Holmes Run
        • Remnants of his mill on Holmes Run were washed out when Hurricane Agnes caused the Lake Barcroft dam to overflow by 3 feet
      • Old Columbia Turnpike
        • Columbia (Turn)Pike used to do a slight zig-zag and run down 10th St S to cross Four Mile Run using a bridge
        • The concrete foundations of the old bridge can be seen from the current Columbia Pike bridge (look downstream)

• Stop #3 - George Washington Survey Marker
      • White oak tree at the confluence of Four Mile Run and Long Branch was used as a surveying marker
      • Deeds reference this as George Washington's forest property starting 300 yards south along Four Mile Run
      • Portion of the tree preserved in Glencarlyn Library
      • Daughters of the American Revolution responsible for current stone column to mark site

• Stop #4 - Glencarlyn
      • Carlin Hall
        • Community Center built in 1892 originally named Custis Hall
        • Used for community meetings, social center, church, public library, one room school, and now a recreation center
      • John Ball & Moses Ball
        • Cousins of George Washington, were granted land in 1742 by Lord Fairfax
      • William Carlin
        • George Washington's tailor, bought the Balls' old estate when they died
      • Ball-Carlin Cemetery
        • Members of Ball and Carlin families buried here from 1766-1908
      • Glencarlyn Library - has the preserved white oak log used by George Washington as a survey marker
      • John Ball House
        • Built in 1742, oldest building in Arlington

• Stop #5 - Carlin Springs
      • 1872 resort near confluence of Lubber Run and Four Mile Run
      • Location of springs, a dining room, pavilion, spring lawn, train station nearby can be found on an old map of the area
      • People would travel from DC via trains on the Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire (Hampshire County, VA is present-day Mineral County, West Virginia) Railroad which later became the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad

• Stop #6 - Mary Carlin House
      • Original log house built in 1800 by William Carlin
      • Lots of bird houses including one that is a model of the house
    Sorry to miss this one Bobco sounds like it was fun! Hope to make the August one . These hot days are too hot for me...let's hope for a cooler day for the next one!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    [*]We ended the ride here due to the incoming thunderstorms, so the remainder starts here[*]Stop #20 - Luna Park (Eads St and Four Mile Run Trail)
    [LIST][*]Luna Park
    • Amusement park running from 1906-1915
    • Part of a chain owned by Frederick Ingersoll
    • 34 acres which featured a figure 8 roller coaster, shoot-the-chutes ride, ballroom, circus arena, restaurants, and picnicking facilities for 3,000 people
    • Fire destroyed the roller coaster in April 1915
    • Nearest fire hydrant was in Alexandria (think Old Town Alexandria) over a mile away
    • Park closed down soon afterwards
    • Site is now occupied by the sewage treatment facility
    • Roller coaster was located approximately just north of Eads/31st St
    very interesting to me. Having grown up in Brooklyn, I was aware of an amusement park that had formerly existed in Coney Island but had been torn down and replaced by a housing project (other amusement parks there survived)

https://mylunapark.wordpress.com/about/

http://www.coneyislandhistory.org/pl...na-park-houses

I assumed it was purely a Coney Island thing. Until when QOTM and I were moving back to Alexandria, and we looked at the Reserve at Potomac Yard, and found that there was a Luna Park Drive in Alexandria. Still didn't know what it was referring to. This, and that LP was actually a chain, explains it.

Note, there is now a new amusement park in CI called Luna Park.

BTW, in another tidbit, Luna Park in Coney Island is close to Trump Village. Which was built by DJT, Senior. And is close to Warbasse Houses, a Co-op developed by the Amalgamated Clothing Workers, a heavily Jewish trade union once led by Sidney Hillman, of "Clear it with Sidney" fame (when FDR got rid of his progressive VP, Henry Wallace in 1944 at the behest of relatively conservative party bosses, he looked to social democrat Hillman to provide assurance that Harry S Truman, the replacement, was also worthy of acceptance to liberals) (Note, Warbasse houses was the destination for my first great transportation cycling adventure)
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 07-25-2017 at 04:17 PM.

4. Likes Starduster, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    very interesting to me. Having grown up in Brooklyn, I was aware of an amusement park that had formerly existed in Coney Island but had been torn down and replaced by a housing project (other amusement parks there survived)

https://mylunapark.wordpress.com/about/

http://www.coneyislandhistory.org/pl...na-park-houses

I assumed it was purely a Coney Island thing. Until when QOTM and I were moving back to Alexandria, and we looked at the Reserve at Potomac Yard, and found that there was a Luna Park Drive in Alexandria. Still didn't know what it was referring to. This, and that LP was actually a chain, explains it.

Note, there is now a new amusement park in CI called Luna Park.

BTW, in another tidbit, Luna Park in Coney Island is close to Trump Village. Which was built by DJT, Senior. And is close to Warbasse Houses, a Co-op developed by the Amalgamated Clothing Workers, a heavily Jewish trade union once led by Sidney Hillman, of "Clear it with Sidney" fame (when FDR got rid of his progressive VP, Henry Wallace in 1944 at the behest of relatively conservative party bosses, he looked to social democrat Hillman to provide assurance that Harry S Truman, the replacement, was also worthy of acceptance to liberals) (Note, Warbasse houses was the destination for my first great transportation cycling adventure)
    More importantly, Truman was from Missouri which is next to Illinois. So he's cool by proximity. He also is the namesake of Truman University in Missouri which was formerly called NEMO for North Eastern Missouri State. Individuals that attended Truman University refer to it as the Harvard of the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have news that I am excited to share concerning the Arlington Historical Bike Ride: I recently finished creating a guidebook for the ride that contains maps, directions, and info for each stop! The guidebook is a PDF file formatted so that folks can either print using the booklet setting in Adobe Reader (booklet size is half a sheet of paper per page) or put on their phones/tablets/phablets/etc.

I will bring a few printed copies* to Hump Day Coffee Club tomorrow morning, and sometime tomorrow I will post the link to the PDF file (stored on Google Docs for now) so that others may download and print as they wish.

I will make one of these for the Alexandria Historical Bike Ride, too.

* - had to learn how to use a manual combing machine, but it worked out quite well

8. Likes Starduster, Steve O, Emm liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    BTW, in another tidbit, Luna Park in Coney Island is close to Trump Village.
    The Trump Village Shopping Center is being redeveloped into a glitzier mixed use development called "Neptune/Sixth". The closing of the old stores there (Rocco's Pizza!) caused my dad much consternation in his last days. Maybe now that Coney Island is getting hipsterized (a craft brewery, a new concert venue, ...) they'll extend Citibikes down there.

Post Thanks / Like

I finished creating a guidebook for my Arlington Historical Bike Ride and have printed a few copies! I gave them out at Hump Day Coffee Club this morning.

For anyone interested in getting their own version, here is a link to the PDF file that you can print for yourself or put on your electronic device to save paper: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...FBLSWd1dHdQOUk

Please note: if printing the guidebook, use Adobe Reader and select the booklet setting. The pages are meant to be half a standard letter page each (5.5" x 8.5").

Let me know if you have any issues with printing/downloading the document, and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes JustinW, CaseyKane50 liked this post