Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arlington Historical Bike Ride (No Drop Ride)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlington Historical Bike Ride (No Drop Ride)

Alright, I've been working on this for a while, but I've got another big ride coming up: the Arlington Historical Bike Ride on Saturday, July 22.

Ever wanted to know how some of the streets got their names in the county (Carlin Springs, Glebe, etc.)? Interested to visit the first public school in Virginia to integrate? Want to see the site of a historic town that everyone's probably ridden by a million times in their lives that was such a den of ill-repute that a group of Arlington citizen vigilantes actually went and burned it down? Come on the Arlington Historical Bike Ride!

Having done the Arlington History Ride bike route a few times now, I decided to modify the route to include more interesting things around the county including more recent events.

Update: The route has been finalized! Here are the details for the ride:
    • Saturday, July 22
    • Meet at 9:00 a.m. at Shirlington Library - 4200 Campbell Ave, Arlington, VA
    • Rolling by 9:05 a.m.
    • Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/9359818 & http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1650672443
    • Expected length: 26 miles in 3-4 hours (including breaks around Minor Hill ~9.5 mile mark near multiple convenience stores and around Rosslyn Metro ~17 mile mark near Rite Aid convenience store)
    • The group will stop at 25 different historical spots around the county and hear a bit of local info from yours truly (I will try to be brief)
    • Ride ends at Prospect Hill Park - 1025 S Arlington Ridge Rd, Arlington, VA
    • Fitness/experience: some hills early on, should be comfortable riding on trails and on streets
    • This will be a no-drop ride taken at a casual pace
    • The route has plenty of opportunities for rest stops
    • Ride start will be at 9:00 a.m. and is expected to wrap up by 1:00 p.m.

I'm really looking forward to doing this ride, and hope to see you there!
    Last edited by bobco85; 07-18-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added final details including route link and 2nd rest stop

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Note this is the same day as Tour de Fat. However, that is 4-9pm, so one could do both.

3. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Note this is the same day as Tour de Fat. However, that is 4-9pm, so one could do both.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I plan on going to the Tour de Fat, too, so I wanted to make sure there was a buffer of a few hours between both.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news: I finalized the route and other details for the ride! Look at the first post on this thread for the updates.

The format of the ride is based on the President's Day Ride that Judd and komorebi led mixed with the drive-by style Purple Line and Silver Line rides that I led. There are ~25 different stops on the route. My goal is to keep things brief while also giving some interesting details and backstory (the show-and-tell will sometimes be more show and sometimes more tell).

I am also planning an Alexandria historical bike ride for early August, but I'll provide more information after I'm done preparing this ride.

6. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What, no stop at the former HQ of the American Nazi Party ... better known to this group as the meeting place of a popular coffee club?

8. Likes Emm, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    What, no stop at the former HQ of the American Nazi Party ... better known to this group as the meeting place of a popular coffee club?
    I already knew the moment I had finalized the route and gathered my notes for it that there would be missing historical spots of interest; to include them all would involve a probable century-long multi-day ride that would neither be as digestible nor accessible as the 26-mile one I've planned.

If I remember, I will make sure to point this out on the ride as it is an interesting part of Arlington's legacy (let's not pretend Arlington has been a bastion of progressive values throughout its history).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I already knew the moment I had finalized the route and gathered my notes for it that there would be missing historical spots of interest; to include them all would involve a probable century-long multi-day ride that would neither be as digestible nor accessible as the 26-mile one I've planned.
    Yes, I agree that you can't include every piece of Arlington history in one ride and keep it manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    (let's not pretend Arlington has been a bastion of progressive values throughout its history).
    My father-in-law's family was run out of Cherrydale when he was a kid. Jews were apparently not welcome in Arlington at that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we stopping by where Al Gore invented the internet?

12. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    No, that was in the House of Representatives.

14. Likes Fast Friendly Guy, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    My father-in-law's family was run out of Cherrydale when he was a kid. Jews were apparently not welcome in Arlington at that time.
    Wow, that's a sad but definitely interesting story. If it's not too impolite to ask, I would like to hear it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Not on this ride, but I think I have a good collection of other interesting stops that I am steadfastly keeping secret until the ride (well, some are obvious based on the route, but I'm keeping quiet!).