Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NVRPA study on widening the W&OD at selected spots

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    You should really be standing next to it so the true "plaque-making-prowess" may be fully appreciated, rather than have some people assume you just don't know how to post photos right-side-up.
    No, I'm sure the plaque came that way and there's no way to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    It hangs proudly in my office, representing all of the plaque-making-prowess one expects from a Cycling Advocacy organization.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170305_170131312.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	15038
    The scary thing about that is the people who made the plaque probably adjust their own brakes, too.

3. Likes Steve O, AFHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

and I almost did not click on this thread today......

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    You should really be standing next to it so the true "plaque-making-prowess" may be fully appreciated, rather than have some people assume you just don't know how to post photos right-side-up.
    Observant people will note the shadow rather than making rash assumptions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve o View Post
    total stalkers will note the shadow rather than making rash assumptions.
    ftfy

7. Likes bentbike33, Jenkinms, Emm liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This got me thinking of the wonderful improvements that were made just over a year ago to the Burke-Gilman Trail in Seattle on the University of Washington campus. Not only did they widen the trail, they also used asphalt for the bike portion and concrete for the pedestrian portion. It was very intuitive and nice. Here are 2 pics of the improvements:

Name:	b2e87d31-f96b-4df8-a438-0840252e8aab.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	15039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2145.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	15040

Also, having ridden on the Pinellas Trail in Florida many times, hozn is absolutely correct about pedestrians not always using the pedestrian path when the trail has separation. I think some of this might be due to the fact that the trail only has lines in certain places (usually near road crossings), while most of the trail is not lined at all. I think that people instinctively move to their right, which makes it awkward when the pedestrian "lane" is on one's left. First pic shows lack of lines (don't look at the bollards, Steve O!), and the second pic shows the separate bike/ped paths.

Name:	5748169_orig.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	15041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clwtrail103013a_11816371_8col.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	15042

Using these 2 examples, I think that a white stripe is not going to be sufficient for good separation. I think that actually paving the pedestrian portion with concrete or using a separate path like the bridle gravel trail on the W&OD in Reston would be best.

Another aspect to consider is how the modes of travel should be separated. While this study focuses on bike-ped separation, I think it would be useful to consider fast-slow user separation much like how we separate fast and slow traffic on roads using bike lanes. This way, bikes/joggers (fast users) would be separated from walkers/strollers/dogs (slow users).
    Just quick observation, one of the points made in discussions of runners in bike lanes is that frequently runners prefer asphalt to concrete because of the perception that it is easier on the joints.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    After all, people learn to stand on the right side of the elevators here quickly enough
    I honestly didn't know there was a place I was supposed to stand in an elevator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I honestly didn't know there was a place I was supposed to stand in an elevator.
    Same here. I thought it was move to the back, let people out before you go in and No farting.

11. Likes Steve O liked this post
    ELITE chris_s ELITED this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Heh, oops :-) (escalator of course, for our foreign readers!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Use supports widening here too. Heavy mixed use. There are some spots where widening would be a bit more difficult given the surrounding geography.
    I rode from the Columbia Pike to Bikenetic today and had the opportunity to think about the trail in terms of widening. There are desire paths along the majority of the section. It's common to see runners running alongside the trail instead of on it. There are some portions of this section that flat and at the same grade. There are a few sections where one or both sides of the trail drops off into 4MR and I imagine might require some extensive work to bring to the same grade as the trail.