Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pannier or Backpack for Business Attire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I thought they stopped making these in the mid-80s....
    Nah, they just make them better now so you don't notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    ...but Downy Wrinkle Releaser works well on creases.
    Great idea -- I'll stash some in our gear room; may come in handy for other classmates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    2. Invest in wrinkle free clothing. It can be hit or miss to find the right items that truly don't wrinkle, but it helps. I own a few shirts and dresses that seem impossible to wrinkle, and those are my go-tos for days I'm in a rush.
    Trust me: I will find a way to wrinkle it! Great advice on all points, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    There's also this, from Two Wheel Gear. Much more expensive than the Nashbar one - I don't know whether it's worth the extra money, but I've heard good things about these
    I've been using one of the two wheel gear panniers for two years now. As long as you're ok with using a rear rack it's one of the better options; in it I can easily fit a suit, shirt, shoes, belt, undergarments, lunch, 32oz thermos, 17inch work laptop, emergency fleece, bike tools, helmet raincover, rainjacket & rainpants.

My only complaints:
    Its not quiet long enough to fit a suit jacket on a hanger without rumpling the bottom.
    External access to the laptop pocket so I don't have to open up the main compartment to remove my work laptop.
    Wouldn't mind a water bottle sleeve.

Otherwise, I've found it extremely durable and with the included raincover I've yet to arrive with wet clothing in my bag.

For those wondering, I don't carry that much on a daily basis (I leave a couple suits, shoes & belts at work) but I have had days when I've needed to bring all of that with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

5. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I've been using one of these for about 4 years, at various points stuffed into a backpack and pannier (mostly backpack though). Every day, I fold up pants and shirt, then throw in undershirt/socks/underwear. I keep my shoes at the office, but the Pack-It is small enough that I have enough room for shoes or other items like lunch.
    I do the same - it works well, especially if you stick with so-called "wrinkle free" items from LL Bean and the like. I also have a Timbuk2 "Especial Raider" backpack that has an integrated folding board and pocket as well as internal pockets for your shoes.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 06-20-2017 at 03:15 PM.

7. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionTier View Post
    In August, though, I'll be starting an academic program that requires slacks, a tie, and a button up shirt (I'll be able to stash a couple sport coats in a storage area at school).
    CT
    MBA? Divinity school? I thought half the point of academia was to qualify for Professor or Hobo.

Name:  man7.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  83.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    MBA? Divinity school? I thought half the point of academia was to qualify for Professor or Hobo.

Name:  man7.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  83.9 KB
    That link is awesome! It's NDU over at Ft McNair which curbs my beard-growing ambitions. Btw: scored 6/10 on the quiz!

10. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with NDU. When I was at McNair they seemed pretty accommodating of the students. Either the NDU campus or the base fitness center may have rental lockers you could store your slacks and shoes which would permit a weekly resupply.

12. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionTier View Post
    Currently I wear utility kit that I can jam into my backpack on my way to work without so much as a worry about wrinkles. In August, though, I'll be starting an academic program that requires slacks, a tie, and a button up shirt (I'll be able to stash a couple sport coats in a storage area at school).

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers about bike commuting with stuff I have to iron (ironing tips also welcome). Is there a pannier or a backpack that keeps clothes from clumping together at the bottom that works best for you guys?

Creased and starched,
    CT
    If you can store sports coats, why not just store a few button down shirts with them. If you use traditional solids, such as white and light blue, you can match different ties for a different look. Also, you can take your shirts to a nearby cleaners to get them cleaned and pressed as needed.

Slacks and ties are pretty easy to roll and put in a pannier without getting them wrinkled. If you're worried about your ties, roll them up and put them in a tie box so they don't get wrinkled or damaged with other items in your bag.

14. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    If you can store sports coats, why not just store a few button down shirts with them. If you use traditional solids, such as white and light blue, you can match different ties for a different look. Also, you can take your shirts to a nearby cleaners to get them cleaned and pressed as needed.

Slacks and ties are pretty easy to roll and put in a pannier without getting them wrinkled. If you're worried about your ties, roll them up and put them in a tie box so they don't get wrinkled or damaged with other items in your bag.
    Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case -- word I'm getting is that we have enough room for a coat or two plus our service dress. It may just work out better to travel straight to the gym with shirt/pants/shoes and slap on a jacket once I get into class. Like anything, I'm sure there'll be a couple moments of flailing toward what works before things gel...