Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pannier or Backpack for Business Attire

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pannier or Backpack for Business Attire

Currently I wear utility kit that I can jam into my backpack on my way to work without so much as a worry about wrinkles. In August, though, I'll be starting an academic program that requires slacks, a tie, and a button up shirt (I'll be able to stash a couple sport coats in a storage area at school).

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers about bike commuting with stuff I have to iron (ironing tips also welcome). Is there a pannier or a backpack that keeps clothes from clumping together at the bottom that works best for you guys?

Creased and starched,
    CT

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using one of these for about 4 years, at various points stuffed into a backpack and pannier (mostly backpack though). Every day, I fold up pants and shirt, then throw in undershirt/socks/underwear. I keep my shoes at the office, but the Pack-It is small enough that I have enough room for shoes or other items like lunch.

3. Likes ChampionTier, EasyRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's probably an expensive purpose built bag for this, but here's a cheapo way.

Before you leave in the morning, fold your shirt and slacks clothes around a stiffening board made from coroplast, or some other lightweight, thin, rigid material. The idea is to make the board the core, and fold the clothes over it. Put the folded clothes+stiffener into a plastic grocery bag so that your clothes don't get abraded from rubbing against the inside of your backpack or bag. It's not perfect, but it'll get the job done.

5. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Roll your clothes, don't fold them if you're using a general pannier/backpack. This seriously reduces wrinkles.

2. Invest in wrinkle free clothing. It can be hit or miss to find the right items that truly don't wrinkle, but it helps. I own a few shirts and dresses that seem impossible to wrinkle, and those are my go-tos for days I'm in a rush.

3. I dont own these, but 2 of my colleagues swear by nashbars garment pannier: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...2_563348_-1___

4. Before you iron, read the label on your clothes. I've melted shirts at work from accidentally putting the iron too high Does your work have an iron? If not, will you have an office you can store one and a mini ironing board in?

If you can store a few sport coats, see if you can also store a few shirts and slacks. What my husband used to do when he had a job that required suits 5 days a week and provided no access to an iron, is drive in on Monday, drop off a weeks work or shirts/pants, and bike the rest of the week.

7. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I've been using one of these for about 4 years, at various points stuffed into a backpack and pannier (mostly backpack though). Every day, I fold up pants and shirt, then throw in undershirt/socks/underwear. I keep my shoes at the office, but the Pack-It is small enough that I have enough room for shoes or other items like lunch.
    Well sh#t! No need to reinvent the wheel. Get one of these. I am!

9. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's also this, from Two Wheel Gear. Much more expensive than the Nashbar one - I don't know whether it's worth the extra money, but I've heard good things about these.

Years ago, my visiting mother-in-law saw me coming home from work in dress clothes and recommended that I switch to polyester suits to save money on dry cleaning. Despite my Brooklyn roots, I did not take her advice.

11. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

3. I dont own these, but 2 of my colleagues swear by nashbars garment pannier: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...2_563348_-1___

I have this. It's perfect for a certain set of circumstances, like if you have no option but to bring your entire outfit in every day or if you have an offsite meeting at a place where you have access to some place to change. Otherwise, it's just a lot of weight that you can avoid packing around if you just take the time to fold your clothes carefully and can leave bulkier items (like shoes and jackets) at the office.

13. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    polyester suit
    I thought they stopped making these in the mid-80s....

15. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3 season wool slacks are pretty wrinkle resistant if you roll them. Shirts wrinkle a bit, but Downy Wrinkle Releaser works well on creases.

17. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    When I had an office job I used one of these too. Usually stuffed in a backpack with my laptop and other odds and ends.

19. Likes ChampionTier liked this post