Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Drive train dilemmas

Rohloff Speedhub 14 patent would expire on either May 15, 2018, or Oct 4, 2019(Not sure which, based on this online expiration date calculator).

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I would be just fine with a mountain double up front and an 8 speed rear.
    I love small rings. All the rings on my commuter's parts bin triple are "little" rings. 26/34/40

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I love small rings. All the rings on my commuter's parts bin triple are "little" rings. 26/34/40
    A 26/34/40 for someone named EasyRider? Unexpected!

Huh.

I just looked at an overseas dealer that ships to the states and they sell the 11 and 8 speed Alfine hub for 53 dollars. I know its "only" 11 speeds vs. the Rohlof's 14, but I think I could get by. And, dynamo hubs for 35 dollars... Shit. I may have to build dynamo wheels for all our commuting bikes for next winter.

Huh.

I just looked at an overseas dealer that ships to the states and they sell the 11 and 8 speed Alfine hub for 53 dollars. I know its "only" 11 speeds vs. the Rohlof's 14, but I think I could get by. And, dynamo hubs for 35 dollars... Shit. I may have to build dynamo wheels for all our commuting bikes for next winter.
    That's stupidly cheap! You should do that. Let me know if you need a wheel builder.

I just looked at an overseas dealer that ships to the states and they sell the 11 and 8 speed Alfine hub for 53 dollars. I know its "only" 11 speeds vs. the Rohlof's 14, but I think I could get by.
    If you were to do the standard Alfine IGH on a drop bar bike, you would need a third-party shifter like Jtek's bar end model, since Shimano doesn't make a drop bar shifter for those. There is a Di2 version that would probably work with road levers, though.

If I do a specific DC commuter build I will probably look at an internal geared hub. But I am well set right now for bikes. I might sell a couple, but Judd and Hozn might be the only dudes that ride a frame my size... haha Retrofitting something that is already running good would be a waste of time and money. I have other things to waste time and money on. Dynamo front wheels are another story. I am still kicking that idea around and thank you for offering your wheel building services, I will keep it in mind. I haven't laced one up in years, but I imagine the principles of physics have remained largely the same.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

If I do a specific DC commuter build I will probably look at an internal geared hub. But I am well set right now for bikes. I might sell a couple, but Judd and Hozn might be the only dudes that ride a frame my size... haha Retrofitting something that is already running good would be a waste of time and money. I have other things to waste time and money on. Dynamo front wheels are another story. I am still kicking that idea around and thank you for offering your wheel building services, I will keep it in mind. I haven't laced one up in years, but I imagine the principles of physics have remained largely the same.
    Hmmmm. What is potentially is on the market? If I get rid of the table, my dining room has space for 3 or 4 more bikes.