Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Drive train dilemmas

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rohloff Speedhub 14 patent would expire on either May 15, 2018, or Oct 4, 2019(Not sure which, based on this online expiration date calculator).

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Arlington
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I would be just fine with a mountain double up front and an 8 speed rear.
    I love small rings. All the rings on my commuter's parts bin triple are "little" rings. 26/34/40

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I love small rings. All the rings on my commuter's parts bin triple are "little" rings. 26/34/40
    A 26/34/40 for someone named EasyRider? Unexpected!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Huh.

    I just looked at an overseas dealer that ships to the states and they sell the 11 and 8 speed Alfine hub for 53 dollars. I know its "only" 11 speeds vs. the Rohlof's 14, but I think I could get by. And, dynamo hubs for 35 dollars... Shit. I may have to build dynamo wheels for all our commuting bikes for next winter.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Huh.

    I just looked at an overseas dealer that ships to the states and they sell the 11 and 8 speed Alfine hub for 53 dollars. I know its "only" 11 speeds vs. the Rohlof's 14, but I think I could get by. And, dynamo hubs for 35 dollars... Shit. I may have to build dynamo wheels for all our commuting bikes for next winter.
    That's stupidly cheap! You should do that. Let me know if you need a wheel builder.

  6. Likes hozn liked this post
  7. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I just looked at an overseas dealer that ships to the states and they sell the 11 and 8 speed Alfine hub for 53 dollars. I know its "only" 11 speeds vs. the Rohlof's 14, but I think I could get by.
    If you were to do the standard Alfine IGH on a drop bar bike, you would need a third-party shifter like Jtek's bar end model, since Shimano doesn't make a drop bar shifter for those. There is a Di2 version that would probably work with road levers, though.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I do a specific DC commuter build I will probably look at an internal geared hub. But I am well set right now for bikes. I might sell a couple, but Judd and Hozn might be the only dudes that ride a frame my size... haha Retrofitting something that is already running good would be a waste of time and money. I have other things to waste time and money on. Dynamo front wheels are another story. I am still kicking that idea around and thank you for offering your wheel building services, I will keep it in mind. I haven't laced one up in years, but I imagine the principles of physics have remained largely the same.

  9. Likes hozn, Judd liked this post
  10. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    If I do a specific DC commuter build I will probably look at an internal geared hub. But I am well set right now for bikes. I might sell a couple, but Judd and Hozn might be the only dudes that ride a frame my size... haha Retrofitting something that is already running good would be a waste of time and money. I have other things to waste time and money on. Dynamo front wheels are another story. I am still kicking that idea around and thank you for offering your wheel building services, I will keep it in mind. I haven't laced one up in years, but I imagine the principles of physics have remained largely the same.
    Hmmmm. What is potentially is on the market? If I get rid of the table, my dining room has space for 3 or 4 more bikes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •