Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Car on the Custis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I believe that a permit is required to post traffic related signs, either from VDOT or the county, but I am not sure. Here is VDOT's FAQ page about signs. Here is a relevant quote:

I have advised the guy that I know with an impact drill that he may be breaking the law and that he will suffer the serious repercussions of improving a trail in a way that no one would ever complain about and that he is likely to suffer the slings and arrows of increased admiration from his peers.
    You should also advise that guy to stop breaking the end QUOTE tags

2. Likes kwarkentien, huskerdont, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Speaking of bollards...Who is going to turn left from Fairfax onto Wakefield and turn immediately right before the sidewalk? I only see possible pain with this one.
    I've seen a car drive onto the sidewalk from the turn lane from northbound Glebe to eastbound Fairfax in front of the Suntrust Bank. I'm not advocating for bollards, but I could see someone crossing Fairfax from the Holiday in on Wakefield and trying to turn into the bike lane. More likely though will be drivers heading south on Glebe and turning right on Fairfax. I could see someone trying to use the bike path as a service lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    You should also advise that guy to stop breaking the end QUOTE tags
    The guy I now that handles posting all of my brilliant thoughts is very tired today and making lots of mistakes. He even forgot to put my keys in my pocket today, causing me to have to find an alternative bike parking strategy.

5. Likes dbb, bobco85 liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

That one was removed a while* ago.

*While can be anywhere from 3 months to a year because at some point it is no longer a new thing.
    Coincidentally around the same time as a Midnight Saddles ride, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    More likely though will be drivers heading south on Glebe and turning right on Fairfax. I could see someone trying to use the bike path as a service lane.
    Actually, this is less likely. There is a corner curb and the bike lane is not full width at the corner. Meaning, if on Fairfax heading west, there is an opening of about 3ft for west bound cyclists to enter. There is an opening of about 3 ft heading south into the crosswalk to cross Fairfax for those cyclists that were heading east off the connector trail. It looks clear to me that it is not a car lane, however, I need to stop thinking that people actually look at such things and think it through.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of bollards...

So the new bike lane on Fairfax between Glebe and Wakefield (i.e., next to the new building) appears to have a shiny, new, metal bollard at the Wakefield entrance to the lane. And I mean shiny. It looks stainless steel or chrome as I go by it in the evening. I do not understand its purpose. Who is going to turn into there? How frequently is someone from Wakefield going to try to make a left from the stop line? Who is going to turn left from Fairfax onto Wakefield and turn immediately right before the sidewalk? I only see possible pain with this one.
    I reported this to the county and received this email from the bike/ped manager:

SteveO I can assure you none of your faithful bike/ped or trails planners requested a bollard at that location. I did ask that they put hi vis reflective tape on it for the time being. But in the long term it's our intention to have it removed and get the hole filled in. But considering how hard it's been for the contractors to simply get the trail open and safe for use, I did not want to distract them by a bollard crisis. DG

10. Likes DrP, Sunyata, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I swear, all my memories of passing through there have that bright yellow flexpost being there, and I've gone through there a couple times in the past few weeks (does this mean I'm getting old?)! Anyways, I'm glad it's gone, and hopefully I'll notice its removal (and remember that it's not there anymore) next time I pass through.
    Yes, I accused SRUB (the Society for the Removal of Useless Bollards) of removing that one last fall.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a disconnect with our arguments. I am advocating for the use of flexposts in specific situations (trail entry points such as the one through which the driver entered), but I am not, in any way, advocating for the use of bollards. (Note: I have read those articles before multiple times) I am also not advocating for flexposts to be the first and final solution, but I do think they are useful tools in ensuring safety.
    A flexpost is safer than a steel bollard
    A hand grenade is safer than a cruise missile, but I'd not use either to clean out my closet, except as a last resort.

I am with you theoretically. I challenge you, though, to cite a single, real life example of a location where other strategies such as clear, visible signage and surface treatments have failed and there is still a history of incursions. I am not personally aware of any.
    Last edited by Steve O; 06-16-2017 at 09:13 AM.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a disconnect with our arguments. I am advocating for the use of flexposts in specific situations (trail entry points such as the one through which the driver entered), but I am not, in any way, advocating for the use of bollards. (Note: I have read those articles before multiple times) I am also not advocating for flexposts to be the first and final solution, but I do think they are useful tools in ensuring safety.
    They are not useful, because here in the real world the maintenance on our trails sucks. So you don't get a flexpost, you get a collard. The only thing stopped by a collard is the bike tire of an unsuspecting cyclist. Case in point: the idiotic flexpost in the middle of the crosswalk at Shreve road. It's spent more of its existence as an almost-invisible hazard to cyclists than as a flexpost. (Honestly, whoever designed that should be fired and/or shot. If for no other reason than to be an effective notice to vehicles there should be two, placed several feet away from and on either side of the crosswalk.)

If you look at the vehicle incursions which have happened, what you'll typically find is a complete lack of signage and (even more importantly) treatments on the trail surface. The only reason they add flexposts is that they're too lazy to apply the proper markings, and it's so damn easy to slap down a flex post. See above about the lack of maintenance, and consider whether someone too lazy to properly mark the trail is going to be on top of replacing the repeatedly broken flex posts.

14. ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    So you don't get a flexpost, you get a collard. The only thing stopped by a collard is the bike tire of an unsuspecting cyclist...
    YUMMMMMMM, collards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikecollards.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	14996

16. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata, Crickey7, annoyedindc, Emm ELITED this post