Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car on the Custis

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car on the Custis

This was truly odd. There was a white sedan on the George Mason connector, just west of the Ballston Connector. A seriously confused woman was behind the wheel. When I came upon her she was trying to back down the connector to the main trail. I stopped her and told her to go up the connector and turn right on George Mason Drive. She said she couldn't because there was a post in the way (hence her backing).

I told her to stay put while I rode up to doublecheck the bollard and confirm it was a flexi-bollard. When I got back she was still trying to back up.

I instructed her that she could drive over the bollard and it would bend down under her car. She was dubious, but I convinced her.

At least three times I asked her "How did you get here?" "Where did you come from?" All she could say was, "I don't know," looking completely flustered.

Did anyone else see this white car on the Custis about 6pm? I have no idea how she got there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caroncustis.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	14984
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't you the same guy who is completely against bollards????

3. ELITE vern, bobco85 ELITED this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems yesterday was official Car on a Bike Trail day. Reports of a driver on the MBT in DC too.

5. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    if there hadn't been a flexpost, she would have just safely driven off, instead of backing up...

7. Likes scoot, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    if there hadn't been a flexpost, she would have just safely driven off, instead of backing up...
    If there had been a flexpost at the trail access off 10th St here https://goo.gl/maps/b6BFKMSphyS2 she would have not driven onto the trail at all.

(I'm guessing this is how she got onto the trail)

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post

At least three times I asked her "How did you get here?" "Where did you come from?" All she could say was, "I don't know," looking completely flustered.
    Where did she come from? Where did she go? Where did she come from, cotton eyed Joe?

10. Likes kwarkentien, Starduster, Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    (I'm guessing this is how she got onto the trail)
    I think she got on here at Aberdeen by Washington Blvd. If she got on at 10th, bobco, she wouldn't have been able to do the hairpin U-turn onto the connector. I think she was westbound to start with.

Name:	here.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	14985
    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    If there had been a flexpost at the trail access off 10th St here https://goo.gl/maps/b6BFKMSphyS2 she would have not driven onto the trail at all.
    The flexipost shown on the google map at Aberdeen is not there any more, which is good.

The problem is there are no signs or other warnings, or surface treatment that makes it obvious one is entering a trail, that would have told her not to go there. FHWA guidance is to use non-hazardous means first, with bollards only as a last resort. Bollards should never be the default option. There are all sorts of things one can do at trail entrances to discourage or prevent motor vehicles from entering that do not also endanger the trail users.

How about a big one of these mounted on the sound wall?

Name:	no cars.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	14986

As I am wont to say, we don't put telephone poles in the middle of streets, so why do we keep putting the equivalent in the middle of trails?
    Last edited by Steve O; 06-15-2017 at 09:20 AM.

12. Likes KLizotte, wheels&wings, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    It seems yesterday was official Car on a Bike Trail day. Reports of a driver on the MBT in DC too.
    I thought it was considerate of the driver to stay in the lane (rather than take up the whole trail). I think I've seen 3 other drivers in the past six months at least attempt to turn onto the trail at either R or T streets (where the construction/road crew access gates are), but for someone to get this far down the trail is quite an impressive display of obliviousness.

14. Likes kwarkentien, jrenaut liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I think she got on here at Aberdeen by Washington Blvd. If she got on at 10th, bobco, she wouldn't have been able to do the hairpin U-turn onto the connector. I think she was westbound to start with.

Name:	here.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	14985

The flexipost shown on the google map at Aberdeen is not there any more, which is good.

The problem is there are no signs or other warnings, or surface treatment that makes it obvious one is entering a trail, that would have told her not to go there. FHWA guidance is to use non-hazardous means first, with bollards only as a last resort. Bollards should never be the default option. There are all sorts of things one can do at trail entrances to discourage or prevent motor vehicles from entering that do not also endanger the trail users.

As I am wont to say, we don't put telephone poles in the middle of streets, so why do we keep putting the equivalent in the middle of trails?
    How about spray chalk?

Post Thanks / Like

If you know a guy with one of those signs, I know a guy with an impact drill and some masonry screws.

17. Likes kwarkentien, Sunyata, jrenaut, Emm liked this post