Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Nauck neighborhood - okay to commute through Army Navy country club every day?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post

    Of course, eventually, the land swap should go through and the Pike should be realigned and there may be better facilities on the Pike. Maybe.

    It's good to have dreams...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    You say that as if it were a bad thing. I don't understand.
    It used to be an awful thing when I first started riding and was panting a quarter of the way up. It's no longer awful, but when every single ride back home ends with a climb up a hill, a heavily trafficked highway and crossing two off ramps where 80% of cars run the red light or pull into the crosswalk all without ever even looking for bike/peds, it kinda sucks.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The climb is totally insignificant in comparison to your other concerns. Even if you walk up it or have to put a teeny weeny smallest gear on your bike. I lived at the top of a killer hill once and learned to love it, bottomed out in my triple on the worst winter nights. Mornings were 30+ mph delight.

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    ^^I greatly agree (though the real estate agent thinks I'm a bit nuts) but it it is proving very, very difficult to find a place within 45 mins to work on public transportation, less than 60 min bike commute that won't scare me, walking distance to amenities, preferably on the yellow line (least delayed/crowded), at least 755 sq feet, will not require walking bike up a flight or more of stairs, has parking, quiet/safe neighborhood, won't require a lot of renovation/upkeep, low condo fees, etc. all for $300K or less.

    Augh. Just discovered that the country club hill is an 8% climb. Augh.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Ha! So there is a secret "back way" through apartment bldg lots. Frankly that kind of route and the big climb up the pike would drive me nutty.

    I used to write the whole way up the sidewalk in the evening, which is okay as long as there is nobody else on it. The sidewalk is narrow so it's hard to pass and there's also a bus stop that sometimes has people waiting or exiting the bus. The back way is actually kind of nice. There's a park with a CABI station and I like to see folks out there playing volleyball or tennis. Dorchester Towers also has a nice rose garden out back that I enjoy riding past.

  5. #15
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know but losing my two stop metro commute is gonna kill me. I live and work on metro and have had a 25 minute commute for 15 years. I can walk to most everything I need. That's why I have remained in my rental for so long. It will be a tough adjustment. Plus I've just discovered one way commuting on Cabi (my work schedule is weird).

    I'm trying to convince myself that the hills will make up for losing the gym in my building.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    The climb is totally insignificant in comparison to your other concerns. Even if you walk up it or have to put a teeny weeny smallest gear on your bike. I lived at the top of a killer hill once and learned to love it, bottomed out in my triple on the worst winter nights. Mornings were 30+ mph delight.
    That is the upside. You start the morning off bombing down a hill at 25-30 mph. I'd much rather start the morning with a climb when I'm rested though.

    The places on Barton are older have a lot of square footage for the price and pretty much everything that I need is within walking distance.

  7. #17
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I used to write the whole way up the sidewalk in the evening, which is okay as long as there is nobody else on it. The sidewalk is narrow so it's hard to pass and there's also a bus stop that sometimes has people waiting or exiting the bus. The back way is actually kind of nice. There's a park with a CABI station and I like to see folks out there playing volleyball or tennis. Dorchester Towers also has a nice rose garden out back that I enjoy riding past.
    If you have a federal ID you could cut through Ft Myer and double back via back roads. Riding thru the fort is really nice; very obedient drivers. But yeah, the Pike needs some serious improvements for the first couple of miles after the hill; at that point you can usually cut over to the neighborhoods. Shakes fist!

    Well, I should have a better idea of my fate next week when I will have to decide whether to bid or not. Will be looking at about 8-9 properties this weekend. Frankly, the whole process sucks. I can't believe some people enjoy house hunting. And don't even get me started on the fact I'll be losing my garage (useful for bike maintenance).

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I know but losing my two stop metro commute is gonna kill me. I live and work on metro and have had a 25 minute commute for 15 years. I can walk to most everything I need. That's why I have remained in my rental for so long. It will be a tough adjustment. Plus I've just discovered one way commuting on Cabi (my work schedule is weird).

    I'm trying to convince myself that the hills will make up for losing the gym in my building.

    Will the 16X bus get you close enough to work?
    https://wmata.com/service/status/details/upload/16x.pdf


    During rush hour, a 16 bus to the Pentagon or Pentagon City comes every few minutes if the 16X won't get you there.

  9. #19
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    That is the upside. You start the morning off bombing down a hill at 25-30 mph. I'd much rather start the morning with a climb when I'm rested though.

    The places on Barton are older have a lot of square footage for the price and pretty much everything that I need is within walking distance.
    Yeah, I don't have shower facilities where I work (not at HQ) and I often have to go straight into meetings so downhill in the morning is a must.

    Yup, I'm looking at that condo complex that is on S Barton though I'm looking at a place on a diff't street. They are tiny by today's standards but cheaper than Fairlington. Walking distance to Giant plus I'm figuring the Pike will get nicer over time. Wish they were putting in a streetcar!

    If you are looking to rent I highly recommend Riverhouse in Pentagon City. Not cheap but still cheaper than all of the newer development in PC. Also they have some very large studios, a large bike room, and a great location. The gyms and pools are great too. You don't need a car here.

  10. #20
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Will the 16X bus get you close enough to work?
    https://wmata.com/service/status/details/upload/16x.pdf


    During rush hour, a 16 bus to the Pentagon or Pentagon City comes every few minutes if the 16X won't get you there.
    Huh. Wasn't aware that there are Columbia Pike buses that go all the way to DC. I was planning on taking a bus to Pentagon metro and then going the one stop to L'Enfant (my office sits on top of the station). If I don't want to bike I'm not too terribly concerned because there are lots of buses that go to Pentagon and PC. I just hate the Pike when it comes to biking and walking.

    Instead of building a wall along Mexico, can't Trump just build a long tunnel and move the traffic below ground?!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •