Likes Likes:  226
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  29
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Please Stop Asking If I am Okay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    No! I miss my "ELITE" button!!!

Me too! I really want to love on this puppy, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a cute sad puppy deserves at least a like.

A girl very nicely asked if I was okay today after I had ridden through the huge puddle behind the sound wall on the Custis and had stopped to adjust my magnet, which had slipped on the spoke. Strangely enough, I was not offended.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey RCannon100, are you okay?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattAune View Post
    Hey RCannon100, are you okay?
    I'm fine Matt. Thanks for asking. How are you??

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have that special don't-talk-to-me vibe. Do you want some?

Had a flat on the towpath last night and found that I had left my tubes and such on a different bike and not returned them to my backpack. So I walked to the parking lot of 41st Street to wait for a ride. Several cyclists rode by. Another cyclist walked up with a flat that he couldn't repair, also waiting for a ride. Then another cyclist rode past the two of us, put his bike on a car in the parking lot, and drove off, all without a word to either of us.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah. I think I see your problem. You actually needed help. That’s not how this works. If you actually need help, and I offer assistance, then I actually have to do something or know something. I actually have to be useful and there is a substantial chance I am not.

No. This only works when there is absolutely no appearance of need or distress. You know, like a cyclist casually sitting on a bench drinking water. Then I can offer assistance without any fear or concern that I might actually have to do something. My liberal guilt is alleviated; I have earned my Good Samaritan merit badge. But absent the need to be useful or to know whether its righty-tightly or lefty-loosey .

7. Likes Steve O, bentbike33, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Ah. I think I see your problem. You actually needed help. That’s not how this works. If you actually need help, and I offer assistance, then I actually have to do something or know something. I actually have to be useful and there is a substantial chance I am not.

No. This only works when there is absolutely no appearance of need or distress. You know, like a cyclist casually sitting on a bench drinking water. Then I can offer assistance without any fear or concern that I might actually have to do something. My liberal guilt is alleviated; I have earned my Good Samaritan merit badge. But absent the need to be useful or to know whether its righty-tightly or lefty-loosey .
    I'm pretty liberal, don't feel too guilty about being relatively well off, and will happily give someone a tube or a ride who needs it or assist with a minor mech if I can. What goes around comes around.

This winter I wore a tire through* such the tube poked out and popped and was walking the bike home when a guy offered me a ride. He had a bike rack on the car so I figured, what could possiblie go wrong? I mean, he was a cyclist.

*Too big for the dollar bill trick.