Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Stop Asking If I am Okay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post

It's like Monty Python's SPAM skit. Once is nice. Twice is funny. But vikings singing SPAM over and over and over is Really Annoying.
    Nothing's more annoying than an over zealous good SPAMaritan...

2. Likes Starduster, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After riding Sunday I pulled my car over alongside the road outside of Fountain Head to send a text. A cyclist road past and shouted "you ok?".

That was a bit excessive I'd say.

4. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the folks asking if you are okay, just want to engage you in Transactional Analysis?

#ImOkayYoureOkay #ShowingMyAge

6. Likes Judd, streetsmarts, dasgeh liked this post
    ELITE mikoglaces ELITED this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

As you know, we're not the ones doing this. I know if I saw you at the side of the trail, I'd probably say "Oh, hi Bob, I'd love to stop and chat by I'm dreadfully late to XXXX. We should get together soon. Oh, wait, do you need anything? No, great, k'bye."

But in the realm of practical advice, maybe pull farther away from the trail. I bet people sitting on the grass enjoying the day don't get asked if they need help, if for no other reason than it's harder to yell way over there.

Also, since this is behavior you can't control, just look for the bright side of it. For one, it's good that some people are looking out for some other people these days. Plus, it gives you a chance to really fuck with people ("No, I'm just solving the space time continuum". "No, I've just gotten back from Narnia". etc). Have a laugh. Try to give someone else a laugh. Good things.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay....I'm just gonna say what everyone else is thinking. If you are being asked THAT MUCH while just quietly sitting there minding your own business then you must look tired, beaten up, ready to collapse, or just plain WEIRD. Or maybe you remind them of Santa Claus, their uncle Joe, or Jesus Christ (you do have a beard after all). Or maybe you are just too darn sexy for your own good.

Bring a puppy along and you will be the most popular guy in town. Ohhhh..... maybe you exude puppy vibes!

Now if I had that many men asking me if I need help on a daily basis I'd be a happy singleton!

Just be happy we are still both employed by the good ol' USA federal govt.

9. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Ohhhh..... maybe you exude puppy vibes!
    This. Definitely this.

Post Thanks / Like

It's blatant care-ism is what it is. It should not be tolerated.

I need to find something relatively harmless to be angry about so that I can spend my energy on that instead of the shite that currently infuriates me, like cars and delivery trucks clogging the bike lanes, illegal U-turns right on top of me, attempted right hooks, buzzings, and drivers turning left into my path.

12. Likes ShawnoftheDread, dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    It's blatant care-ism is what it is. It should not be tolerated.

I need to find something relatively harmless to be angry about so that I can spend my energy on that instead of the shite that currently infuriates me, like cars and delivery trucks clogging the bike lanes, illegal U-turns right on top of me, attempted right hooks, buzzings, and drivers turning left into my path.

To each their own I guess - I find being angry about bike lane blockers, illegal Us, right hooks (and left hooks from right turn only lanes!) etc to be a delightful distraction from other things that make me angry.

14. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you smile more. Not trying to be facetious (for a change). If you look happy, they won't think you need help. Or they'll ask you to share whatever you're on...

16. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

So.... ah.... regarding that criteria about beards......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11391415_10200494007229027_8076207240193045004_n.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	14988