Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Please Stop Asking If I am Okay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    How about a safe word we can all agree on?
    Grouch.
    Last edited by Left Field; 09-14-2017 at 05:38 PM.

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw Bob this morning. He looked okay.

4. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgrad12 View Post
    You're being incredibly rude. We should be thankful that people are showing a small touch of altruism and making sure a stranger is ok. I know a rider's whose life was saved by a bystander when he started feeling weak, sat next to his bike, and had an MI that progressed into cardiac arrest. But for the bystander kind enough to check on him and initiate CPR, he'd be dead. So, show a little bit of gratitude and stop being a jerk.

(I don't have many posts here, but I've been reading this forum for years)
    I hate to say it but you made my point. I was not feeling weak. I was not in cardiac arrest. I had no need of CPR. I have ABSOLUTELY no sign of being in need. None. And I agree with you, if someone looks like there are in distress, if they are having a heart attack, it is wonderful if you offer help.

I was sitting next to my bike waiting for a class to begin. I was in fact on my smart phone writing an email. I was very relaxed waiting for someone. (Please read this thread before you call me rude). Any time I sit next to my bike, I get asked if I am okay, like I am enfeebled. Its an aspersion. It is an intrusion. It is a statement that sitting next to your bike means you are in distress. Utter bullshit. And yet it happens over and over and over. And it really needs to stop. As I said, earn your Good Samaritan merit badge somewhere else. But if there is absolutely NO REASON to ask some is okay - dont do it. Sitting next to your bicycle in and of itself - with no sign of distress - is not a reason.

No, I am not being rude. Rude is looking at someone who is perfectly 100% fine - and asking (over and over and over again) "are you okay??"

As for stop being a jerk, well, that would require a great deal more maintenance.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 09-15-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Get off my lawn!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I was in fact on my smart phone writing an email.
    Hmm. So much for my theory. Unless you, like me when I ride, were wearing single-vision glasses thus forcing you to squint quizzically at the phone. Maybe they thought you needed help with the phone?

7. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your helmet doesn't happen to look like this, does it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	15456

9. Likes Steve O, Judd, bentbike33, Crickey7, rcannon100 liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

. It is a statement that sitting next to your bike means you are in distress.
    Last night I saw many people sitting next to their bikes. I asked them if they were okay, or needed anything. A couple asked me if emailing a picture of their count results was good enough, and I said sure. One complained about bugs, but turned down my offer to ride off after bug spray.

On Saturday I will be sitting next to my bike. As will several of us in Alexandria. With note pads. I will not speak for the folks I have dragooned into this, but if you pass me, and want me to be okay, I will probably not turn down a cold drink, a fudge brownie, or even a high five. If you feel you want to do more, I won't object to a full tune up on the bike.

11. Likes JustinW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i was not feeling weak.
    "sir! Do you require motorized assistance???"

13. Likes Steve O, ian74, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In all fairness, the suggestion that people should at least look to see if someone needs help, is reasonable, and I guess most people on this forum can tell when someone needs help and when someone is just chilling. However, asking it does not seem like the type of behavior to get upset about.

15. Likes drewguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it but you made my point. I was not feeling weak. I was not in cardiac arrest. I had no need of CPR. I have ABSOLUTELY no sign of being in need. None. And I agree with you, if someone looks like there are in distress, if they are having a heart attack, it is wonderful if you offer help.

I was sitting next to my bike waiting for a class to begin. I was in fact on my smart phone writing an email. I was very relaxed waiting for someone. (Please read this thread before you call me rude). Any time I sit next to my bike, I get asked if I am okay, like I am enfeebled. Its an aspersion. It is an intrusion. It is a statement that sitting next to your bike means you are in distress. Utter bullshit. And yet it happens over and over and over. And it really needs to stop. As I said, earn your Good Samaritan merit badge somewhere else. But if there is absolutely NO REASON to ask some is okay - dont do it. Sitting next to your bicycle in and of itself - with no sign of distress - is not a reason.

No, I am not being rude. Rude is looking at someone who is perfectly 100% fine - and asking (over and over and over again) "are you okay??"

As for stop being a jerk, well, that would require a great deal more maintenance.
    You know, you really don't sound okay.

17. Likes WhiskeyJr liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    You know, you really don't sound okay.
    I assure you I am 100% okey dokey

19. ELITE ian74 ELITED this post