Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Stop Asking If I am Okay

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I'm told that yelling incoherently and shaking your fist is effective in running off would-be samaritans, and that it doesn't make you look like a crazy old codger at all.

I have started taking a survey, asking people why they are asking me if I am okay - what it is about me that resulted in the offer of assistance. Generally its just "trying to be helpful." M'eh.

Last edited by rcannon100; 06-12-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    [rant mode on]
    Oh yeah, can I also mention that this did not happen 2 years ago when I was not quite a gray beard. But now that I am a gray beard...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41Cm8jh454L.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	14957

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Stop Asking If I am Okay

I generally only ask if the person clearly has a problem and look like they're struggling to fix it. If a rider is calmly sitting in the shade fixing a flat or drinking some water or whatever, I usually ride on by. If the rider looks a bit flummoxed, I'll ask if they have what they need (flummoxed could mean either lack of expertise to fix the problem or lack of tools). It's subjective, but I generally err on the side of assuming people actively working on their bike on the trail have the capacity to fix it, and if they don't look distressed they probably would prefer I don't bug them.

I also am averse to being asked if I need help....so much so that when my front derailleur cable slipped, resulting in a major chain-suck a few weeks ago, I coasted to the nearest trail exit and fixed my bike in a cul de sac so no one would bother me.

4. Likes streetsmarts, Rod Smith, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would only stop to shout at you for being a woman or failing to file a Federal Register Notice before passing.

6. Likes dasgeh, Emm, Judd, AFHokie, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time you pull off of the trail, just yell, "I'M NOT OKAY!!!" at every person than passes, and i'm sure you'll get the solace and quiet you require.

8. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There is not one hint, not one bit of evidence, nothing to suggest that I am having any difficulty whatsoever.
    Come on now, you own a mirror. There's no way this statement is true.

10. Likes mikoglaces, streetsmarts, AFHokie liked this post
    ELITE Subby, rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's annoying. It happened one minute apart in my case. I started walking so nobody asks me anymore.

Next time I might respond with "Excuse me I am on a break." or "Excuse me I am enjoying the view before you stopped to ask me that question."

12. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Fine!!!!

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Oh yeah, can I also mention that this did not happen 2 years ago when I was not quite a gray beard. But now that I am a gray beard.
    Or

Name:	razor.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	14958

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Or

Name:	razor.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	14958

I don't know about you or rcannon100, but I have minimum beard length standards demanded by ssm508 to adhere to.

Maybe rcannnon100 needs to practice on bike recovery to protect the good Samaritans out there? I've only met a couple, faith in doG makes me feel like there may be more. Single speed guy with funny handlebars is one. A presidential appointee, who shall remain nameless, stopped to help me once. Whisk broom dude is another, but I actually stopped to help him.