Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Parts on Das Kettler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm curious what the process is for claiming abandoned property in Arlington.
    Judd, file a found property report with Arlington County Police. You most likely will work with Lt. Heather Hurlock. (Hat tip to Erin Potter of BikeArlington).

Post Thanks / Like

I think the University of Maryland auctions bikes they consider 'abandoned' on campus each year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would be liable to get an N+1 someday from an auction of abandoned/unloved bikes. There's one locked up in old town (old steel bike) that looks like it's been there for a few years. Wonder how they make it from locked/abandoned to the police station.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious what the process is for claiming abandoned property in Arlington.
    For some people it is a simple 2 step process.
    1. Got to Home Depot and purchase cordless angle grinder with cut off wheel.

2. Gather "Abandoned" bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    For some people it is a simple 2 step process.
    1. Got to Home Depot and purchase cordless angle grinder with cut off wheel.

2. Gather "Abandoned" bike.

That's kind of where I'm going.... What's the criteria for something being abandoned property versus a bike locked up that appears to not have moved.

West Springfield, commute to downtown D.C.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    The cylindrical thing? Your guess as good as mine...
    So here's my guess. German bikes used to come with a small tool bag located behind the seat. (See picture.) Maybe what's on your bike used to hold a special toolkit, and there was a cover on it that has since fallen off. Or maybe it held a certain kind of lock. Or ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	14962

Post Thanks / Like

That's kind of where I'm going.... What's the criteria for something being abandoned property versus a bike locked up that appears to not have moved.
    I think that varies from location to location and whether it's on private vs. public property.

For example: in DC, a bicycle is considered abandoned if it's locked up for more than 12 hours. From a WAMU report a few years back (http://wamu.org/story/12/07/18/ddot_...andoned_bikes/), they'll tag the bicycle for a minimum 10-day period (to give the owner a chance to reclaim it), haul it away, keep it for 30 days, then dispose of it.

Most locations have a longer period of time before something is considered abandoned (12 hours could just be a long day at the office), but the general process isn't too dissimilar from what I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW. If we, at some point we do not find out what the cylinder and spring catch do, I am going to bring out some hurt. I do not like an open ended mechanical mystery. I have people, trucks, power tools and shovels at my disposal. You have been warned.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bike at an auction about 20 years ago. The auction was held at some junkyard in Brandywine MD. The stuff they were selling included office equipment and bikes that the police were trying to get rid of. About the only bike worth buying was a Panasonic, which I bought for $50. Turned out to be a nice bike, and I still have it and use it on the rollers. But most of the bikes were Walmart specials, and they were struggling to sell bundles of 10 bikes for $10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    There's one locked up in old town (old steel bike) that looks like it's been there for a few years. Wonder how they make it from locked/abandoned to the police station.
    Old Town Alexandria? Submit a Call.Click.Connect. service request and the police department will likely remove it pretty quickly. Last time I reported an obviously abandoned bike (rusty chain, flat tires) I think it was just a couple days before they removed it.