Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Parts on Das Kettler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mystery Parts on Das Kettler

I have come into possession of a Kettler Alu-Rad CityShopper, which had sat abandoned at Pentagon Row for *years*. Worry not- claimed it BY THE BOOK through Arlington County Police. A full suspension city bike- unusual by most any standard. Halfway to a cargo bike. Getting a clean-up, lighting upgrade, and new tires, ready to debut soon.

It however has a couple of very unusual pieces on it. None of the images of Kettler CityShoppers I have found have them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202822.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	14953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202258.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	14954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202408.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	14955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202332.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	14956I am certain they are OE, because they are well-integrated and painted to match. John Harpold and Bailey Garfield of Papillon Cycles saw, and had NO idea what they were, or were for. So... guess away!

The springy thing- We think it is a steering damper/centering device. No clue how the spring attaches to the bar.

The cylindrical thing? Your guess as good as mine...

Post Thanks / Like

The tube and mount---life support for the alien what brought this to earth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    I have come into possession of a Kettler Alu-Rad CityShopper, which had sat abandoned at Pentagon Row for *years*. Worry not- claimed it BY THE BOOK through Arlington County Police. A full suspension city bike- unusual by most any standard. Halfway to a cargo bike. Getting a clean-up, lighting upgrade, and new tires, ready to debut soon.

It however has a couple of very unusual pieces on it. None of the images of Kettler CityShoppers I have found have them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202822.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	14953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202258.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	14954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202408.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	14955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170611_202332.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	14956I am certain they are OE, because they are well-integrated and painted to match. John Harpold and Bailey Garfield of Papillon Cycles saw, and had NO idea what they were, or were for. So... guess away!

The springy thing- We think it is a steering damper/centering device. No clue how the spring attaches to the bar.

The cylindrical thing? Your guess as good as mine...
    I love challenges like this, but this is blowing my mind. I have no clue what those are! The rear cylinder thing seems like a small roll of tape or ribbon could be mounted on it, but that doesn't make sense, does it? You can put potpourri in there with a little mesh if you wanted to fragrance up your bike

The front thingamabobby, I would've guessed the same thing as y'all. Is the vertical post threaded on the inside? From the pic, it looks like an v-brake/canti brake post mount. I wonder if it's some weird basket or bag mount.

Are the lights on the bike now from after you acquired it? Could those two things have been light mounts?

Post Thanks / Like

the round thing is clearly a toilet paper roll mount

Post Thanks / Like

for the rear thing I'll guess some kind of cargo strap device? I think it's very unlikely they're OE. If it were a color other than silver I'd take the color as more significant.
    Last edited by mstone; 06-12-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearly a hamster wheel in the rear and a water tube in the front. This might be the perfect Hains Point bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I would expect to see these two things on the bike: 1) Ring lock (aka O lock) for the rear wheel, or at least threaded bosses for it, and 2) a wheel dynamo. Maybe that rear cage is for some sort of lock that pulls out of it. Just a guess. Sometimes they have a little hard-mounted repair kit near the seat post on top of the rack.

Post Thanks / Like

drevil: Lighting upgrade already done. The rear had been a B+M incandescent Toplight, long ago smashed. That is an AXA Riff found in the reflector bin at the shop. The OE Basta halogen was just inadequate in output and beam, even by yesterday's standards. The front light is now a B+M Eyc Plus, minus the switch & tail light wiring needed for a dynohub. The bike's wiring to a rear sidepull generator was too nicely integrated to mess with. Though the OE generator wouldn't power the LED front beyond a flicker. Bearings felt funny, so... a B+M sidepull dyno last used for my Trek was put into service. Mission accomplished.

The mystery cylinder's a little small for a hamster, though...

Post Thanks / Like

The cylinder in back must connect to the rear hub via some sort of belt to become a crank driven zoetrope. You can ride and animate.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    I have come into possession of a Kettler Alu-Rad CityShopper, which had sat abandoned at Pentagon Row for *years*. Worry not- claimed it BY THE BOOK through Arlington County Police. A full suspension city bike- unusual by most any standard.
    I'm curious what the process is for claiming abandoned property in Arlington.