Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 22 Mile Trail Parallel to I-66 -- Helpful Video and Input Needed

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

real alternative: utilities in the shoulder. then maybe you'd lose one of five interstate lanes when work is needed, instead of one of one MUP. But this isn't about real alternatives...

I don't think VDOT has said anything about how the MUP is supposed to work when it's torn up for utility work because, again, they don't care.

2. Likes bentbike33, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I don't think VDOT has said anything about how the MUP is supposed to work when it's torn up for utility work because, again, they don't care.
    Obviously, riders encountering utility work will need to climb to the top of the chainlink fence atop the jersey barrier; hoist their bikes up using the rope all trail users will be required to carry; lower the bike to the breakdown lane* (being careful not to let the bike swing out into traffic); ride around the utility work; and then repeat the process to get back on the trail.

*May not be available due to use as a traffic lane during rush hour(s).

4. Likes Steve O, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From GGWash: Virginia blames bicyclists for not wanting to ride on a highway

Hey, fine by me, I didn't ask for the stupid widening/toll project in the first place. I promise as long as I live in the area, I will never ever drive to work and never use HOT lanes.

6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know off the top of their head what part of 66 the 5 miles of the trail will run adjacent to the Interstate?

lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Does anyone know off the top of their head what part of 66 the 5 miles of the trail will run adjacent to the Interstate?
    Thanks for the caveat, so I don't obsessively search out EIS documents. Off the top of my head - I don't know. But I think its the part closer to the beltway, because that is where SFH areas come closest to I66.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of it is from Gallows to Nutley St., based on my read of the plans. Also looks like the section at Idylwood Park (at the top of the Virginia Lane climb) will also be moved outside the wall, although it's hard to tell from the pdfs I found.

http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/maps.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Most of it is from Gallows to Nutley St., based on my read of the plans. Also looks like the section at Idylwood Park (at the top of the Virginia Lane climb) will also be moved outside the wall, although it's hard to tell from the pdfs I found.

http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/maps.asp
    Thanks. I did look at the documents on the site but I'm having all kinds of trouble interpreting the documents.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I did look at the documents on the site but I'm having all kinds of trouble interpreting the documents.
    Yes, they are a hot mess.

Post Thanks / Like

I also tried to look through those documents a month ago to answer that same question. I was completely befuddled and gave up.

If it is mostly in the portion east of 123, there are a lot of parallel streets that could easily be made more attractive to bicycle traffic. If we fail in our efforts to get the 66 trail entirely outside the sound wall, we should prioritize fighting for improvements to alternatives that could actually be safe and pleasant places to ride.

13. Likes Cangrande liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you live in the Providence District of Fairfax County, you may want to have some words with Supervisor Smyth.

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/09/i-66-...sm-screw-it-up

15. Likes dasgeh, honestmachinery liked this post