Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 Mile Trail Parallel to I-66 -- Helpful Video and Input Needed

Post Thanks / Like

I sent a thank you note to my state senator and state delegate. They need to hear that their efforts are appreciated and necessary. That VDOT proposal is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

2. Likes rcannon100, huskerdont, dasgeh, CBGanimal liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I happen to see my Senator at another VDOT-related meeting last night, and got to thank her personally. That letter was very helpful and well written, and I was so excited that it articulated the rationale for good bike infrastructure. Yay!

4. Likes FFX_Hinterlands, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update in the Post today does not sound promising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Update in the Post today does not sound promising.
    Yes, VaDOT is taking no responsibility for allowing a faulty design or not consulting with trail users earlier, so of course VaDOT blames the potential trail users.

7. Likes Crickey7, rcannon100, Emm, dasgeh, Steve O and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Yes, VaDOT is taking no responsibility for allowing a faulty design or not consulting with trail users earlier, so of course VaDOT blames the potential trail users.
    Lies. It is incredible to suggest that the MUP could stand in the way of this $2.3B foregone conclusion. This MUP was designed for budgetary elimination, and lobbying efforts to improve the facility require those caught at this game to attempt to shift the blame for the eminent domain takings to those with the temerity to argue against it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Likes Emm, dasgeh, huskerdont, ginacico, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of lies:

"State transportation officials say the expansion will help reduce congestion in the I-66 corridor, which experiences eight to 10 hours of gridlock daily, including weekends, and carries roughly 200,000 vehicles on an average day."

They'll never, ever learn.

11. Likes Steve O, dasgeh, ginacico, hozn, bentbike33 and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This is what advocacy looks like.
    Unfortunately, it smells like defeat.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Unfortunately, it smells like defeat.
    Meh. I'm not ready to give up just yet. In particular I want to hear WHY the utility trucks cannot access utilities by driving on an outside the sound wall MUT.

14. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh. I'm not ready to give up just yet. In particular I want to hear WHY the utility trucks cannot access utilities by driving on an outside the sound wall MUT.
    because vdot doesn't want to. they'll drag their feet on dealing with this until the project is finished, and just do whatever they want. the same way they refused to talk about the trail at all during the planning meetings over the past few years even though they were apparently planning this the whole time. (because "it was too early in the process to talk about those details".)

Post Thanks / Like

From what I gleaned from the article, the issue is that rearranging the MUT to be outside the sound wall would require taking an extra 10 feet of width because of the requirements of the utility easement, and the government is prioritizing local homeowners over cyclists. I guess you would have to dig into the easement to understand the particulars. Perhaps they are guaranteed a certain width for utility trucks, and that width is wider than the planned bike lanes.