Thread: 22 Mile Trail Parallel to I-66 -- Helpful Video and Input Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nosrednaj View Post
    Is that the plexiglass like wall?
    Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone, for this thread. Is the regional oversight body for this, and who are our representatives on it? Is it the board Mary is on? Or Katie? Or Christian? (I confess, I can't keep these all straight).

I bet FFX and ALX folks would appreciate know who their reps are (especially those who may be receptive to pro-bike/walk messages).

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Thanks Judd. I poached much of your comments and sent them to my delegate in the state house.
    Yes! Write your electeds in Richmond. You're note to them may be less technical - "Hey, we need to make sure to provide safe, comfortable transportation options, and VDOT's plan for this trail doesn't cut it. VDOT staff seems resistant to making the necessary changes to make this trail usable. Without this trail, we perpetuate the status quo, where people who are willing to bike drive, because is inconvenient, unsafe, uncomfortable. We simply cannot pour money into a system that discourages walking and biking and encourages, or we will all be stuck in traffic." - but please write!

The video is being updated. The wall at a minimum is 32" but VDOT says the will likely install 50" and fencing on top. Still not a great experience but better protection.
    With the shorter soundwall, it sounded like the experience on the TR Bridge, which is horrible. I will note that in my comments

THANK YOU. FABB has done some great work on this, and it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    Went to the meeting (my first time ever going to this kinda thing) I was a bit intimidated...regardless...
    THANK YOU!!!! Seriously, as someone who goes to meetings and speaks all the time, and who talks to staff and electeds a lot, I can tell you that the first-timers (and people that don't come out often) are the MOST EFFECTIVE. Thank you for coming out and speaking.

3. Likes CaseyKane50, CBGanimal, bobco85, Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any experience riding over the Wilson Bridge during winter? What happens to the snow ? The bike trail there is not so different than what VDOT is proposing except no wall on one side....just awesome views of the Potomac.
    I presume it's just pushed into the river through the railing.
    Name:  railing.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  21.5 KB
    Last edited by Steve O; 06-14-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: that is, if it's plowed at all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I presume it's just pushed into the river through the railing.
    Name:  railing.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  21.5 KB
    DDOT does plow the 14th Street Bridge. They have an auger/snowblower type machine that throws the snow over the rail and into the Potomac.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any experience riding over the Wilson Bridge during winter? What happens to the snow ? The bike trail there is not so different than what VDOT is proposing except no wall on one side....just awesome views of the Potomac.
    In my experience, riding next to a railing and river is ENTIRELY different than next to a huge solid wall. Think about how hot and muggy this trail would be in the summer? How the wind would whip through this area, hemmed in by the wall?

Don't forget that people will not walk or ride as close to a solid, tall wall as they would to a short, open fence or open area. So this 8-10' path will effectively be 7-9' (or less). Anyone who has ridden the Custis knows that the places where the sound wall is immediately next to the trail, the trail feels narrower, than other places where the pavement is the same width.

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The video is being updated. The wall at a minimum is 32" but VDOT says the will likely install 50" and fencing on top. Still not a great experience but better protection.
    Talk about feeling trapped! Without any shy zones and vertical walls on both sides, the trail will function narrower than it actually is and will be seriously claustrophobic. Each of the other analogies (TR bridge, Wilson bridge) allow you to see outside the trail to something, like a river. Although most adults will be able to see over a 50" barrier, the view will be of the expressway, and it most certainly will not reduce noise or pollution.
    The wall will not stop plows from launching snow from the highway onto the trail (see video with even higher sound walls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7nl...ature=youtu.be). Hard to know if the "fencing' on top will stop it. If so, then it won't be long before the fencing itself is destroyed by the plowing. I also think people will still throw stuff like tires over the fencing, but maybe not mattresses.

Also, at least with the low wall, in the case of some sort of serious emergency, trail users might be able to go over the wall onto the shoulder of the highway. Emergency vehicles could respond to injured parties from the highway itself. How would emergency vehicles reach incapacitated people on the trail in a timely manner? Would an ambulance be able to drive down the trail? Would there be enough room to carry someone on a stretcher around the vehicle to the rear?

There is no way this design can be fixed with the trail inside the sound wall no matter how many "improvements" are proposed. It is fundamentally flawed. I sent a note to my delegate and state senator as suggested by dasgeh.

9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Article in Greater Greater Washington https://ggwash.org/view/63735/a-new-...oulder-of-i-66

11. Likes dasgeh, CBGanimal, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is infuriating!! Ostensibly, the whole point of "Transform I-66" is to provide a host of travel choices along the corridor. This very statement, "accommodate" exposes their hypocrisy. "We're building this for cars, and we will 'accommodate' you other peons."
    Was that a quote from VDOT

New video has been posted with better representation of fencing but same experience exists....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mqqon8Zmg

Post Thanks / Like

Step 1: Build lousy bike trail.
    Step 2: Notice that nobody uses it.
    Step 3: Convert bike trail to car lane.

ETA that I sent in my 2 cents.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 06-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.

14. Likes rcannon100, Steve O, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also just sent a note to my State Senator (Surovell). He is a cyclist, so hopefully he is willing to do what he can. He usually responds to all my facebook questions really quick, so maybe I'll even get a response to my email...

16. Likes Judd, CBGanimal liked this post