Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 Mile Trail Parallel to I-66 -- Helpful Video and Input Needed

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    The Utility access makes it a bit more clear why anyone would put humans in the automotive fume, heat and sound backwash of a major highway. The bike lane is more an after thought use of a underground right of way. The bike lane will be peppered with vault lids and likely populated with service trucks working on this and that on any given work day. They are making a suck fest bike lane so the utility guys don't have to work on the side of the highway and not be behind a wall. it is a utility lane tarted up to look like a bike lane.
    Even if true, why can't the utility ROW be outside the soundwall, too?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea. Have the VDOT planners ride a bike or walk a few miles on the should of 66 now and see how they rate the experience.

3. ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Here's an idea. Have the VDOT planners ride a bike or walk a few miles on the should of 66 now and see how they rate the experience.
    I think having bike and pedestrian planners give up their cars for 2 or 3 years while living in the locality they serve would be an acceptable starting point for employment.

5. Likes rcannon100, sjclaeys, Vicegrip, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Interesting article. They don't want build this. We can barely imagine using it. It is deliberately designed to scratch from the budget.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. Likes huskerdont, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Probably just don't make engineering sense......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    My guess would be truck access to the vaults. Real sad that they can't see fit to give 10 feet to a Mup that would become a non major thoroughfare like the W&OD is. There are many people and places along ether side of 66 that are only connected by car now.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    My guess would be truck access to the vaults.
    I'm not clear on this. Current plans have trucks driving in between a tall wall and a short wall. Switch the walls and nothing changes. But actually, if you switch the tall wall then you don't need the short wall. Should make it easier, actually.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

From reading the wapo article, I got the impression that the houses that back up to the sound wall don't want a trail in their backyard. Of course, you could​use design elements to minimize the exposure between the trail and the houses -- a low wall, fence, etc. Even elevate the trail a bit. There are trails abutting backyards all over the country- there are plenty of models to do this well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    From reading the wapo article, I got the impression that the houses that back up to the sound wall don't want a trail in their backyard. Of course, you could​use design elements to minimize the exposure between the trail and the houses -- a low wall, fence, etc. Even elevate the trail a bit. There are trails abutting backyards all over the country- there are plenty of models to do this well.
    I guarantee that having a trail as an amenity will do more for their house values than having nothing but an expressway in their backyard.

13. Likes Steve O, Judd, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I guarantee that having a trail as an amenity will do more for their house values than having nothing but an expressway in their backyard.
    It will, but this is a very common objection to trails. A proposed rail to trail in my hometown that would have been really nice was killed because adjacent property owners objected that trail users would throw trash on their lawn. Similarly there was a lot of resistance to a light rail system because of objections that poor, black people from East St. Louis would use it to come to white suburbia and rob everybody.