Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood donation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blood donation

No - not some horrible incident involving shouting men, pit bulls and passing without an audible signal, just normal blood donation.

Are there folks that ride to a donation and then ride away? I've got an appointment Friday next to Fairfax Hospital, and am considering riding there and onto work. I believe I will have to be cagey about "yeah, no exercise today. Got it. This is just the bike helmet I carry around with me regularly..."

Should I care? I'm usually OK after donating, but would rather not find out I made a second blood donation on the side of the road.

Post Thanks / Like

How far away is work? You'll likely feel drained MUCH earlier post-donation, and exercise can induce some light headed-ness you may not normally feel. If it's a short, flat ride and not too hot out it could be done, but it's of course risky.

Maybe do an experiment--try going for a run close to your house or on a treadmill and get yourself to roughly the same heart rate as you would on your commute shortly after you donate blood. See what exercise does to you. Might be safer to experiment this way before you try to get on a bike in traffic. I tried running once post-blood donation and although walking I felt fine, once my heart rate went up I felt crappy pretty quick. I would personally NOT try to commute the same day as donating since getting faint while in traffic would be terrifying.
    Last edited by Emm; 06-07-2017 at 02:07 PM.

3. Likes Rockford10 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

I got suckered into a blood drive for a hockey team once - that made me quite uncomfortable - so I looked it up.

If I recall correctly, the protocol for other nations like the UK is far more conservative than ours. The recommendation in the UK is no strenuous exercise and no driving right after blood donations.

Naturally telling 'Mericans that they cant drive wont work so that protocol is not applied here.

My gut is to be conservative. Depending on your ride, that might mean diff things. Just be careful.

5. Likes Rockford10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I work in Tysons, so it would be about 5 miles down Gallows Road.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my bike related blood donations are involuntary and to the pavement......

As said might not be a good idea to ride home after unless you know how you will react. A pint from some people is a day of easy recovery and nothing to others.

8. Likes streetsmarts, Rockford10, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford10 View Post
    No - not some horrible incident involving shouting men, pit bulls and passing without an audible signal, just normal blood donation.

Are there folks that ride to a donation and then ride away? I've got an appointment Friday next to Fairfax Hospital, and am considering riding there and onto work. I believe I will have to be cagey about "yeah, no exercise today. Got it. This is just the bike helmet I carry around with me regularly..."

Should I care? I'm usually OK after donating, but would rather not find out I made a second blood donation on the side of the road.
    Check with SteveO. According to his Strava, he just rode to a blood donation and back.

10. Likes Rockford10, Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford10 View Post

Are there folks who ride to a donation and then ride away? I've got an appointment Friday next to Fairfax Hospital, and am considering riding there and onto work. I believe I will have to be cagey about "yeah, no exercise today. Got it. This is just the bike helmet I carry around with me regularly..."

Amazing timing. I just got home from donating at the donor center on Prosperity Drive near Dunn Loring, about 6 miles away for me.

I have donated dozens of times by bike. This was the first time they said absolutely nothing about my riding my bike (one nurse did say she noted I rode my bike and that I looked fit, thanks). I haven't gotten a lot of push back when they recommend not doing any vigorous exercise. When it is mentioned, I tell them I plan to ride easy, exerting myself similarly to as though I am taking a walk (which is true; I take it easy on my ride home, with no ill effects to date).

Ride your bike there, take plenty of time with the cookies and juice afterward, and then just easy roll it into work. You should be fine.

12. Likes bobco85, streetsmarts, Rockford10 liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people feel queasy or lightheaded when they donate but you may be fine. I've tried to donate twice and didn't even make it through the paperwork phase. I looked at the other people with needles in their arms and almost passed out just from the thought of it. I routinely feel lightheaded when giving blood samples for testing. Yeah, I'm a wuss when it comes to some things. I wonder if half of the doc's advice is due to people having psychological issues with donating as opposed to physical.

Can you bikeshare there and metro back? Demand extra cookies because you're biking?
    Last edited by KLizotte; 06-07-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: grammar

14. Likes streetsmarts, Rockford10, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No bikeshare in that part of FFX, but if you want to ride there, transit from FFX Inova to work, and then have your bike with you to ride home its easy - take the Fairfax Connector 401 bus, with its handy bike racks. Or you could take the bus to Mosaic, eat something, then ride on to Fairfax. Or you could ride (slowly) the low stress route from the hospital to Mosaic, eat something and ride in from there. Or, if you really do feel up to it, ride the whole way.

16. Likes Rockford10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very helpful! I've never taken my bike on a bus before, but that's a super easy bailout if needed. I think I'll ride over there and see what happens. I can ride to work, ride to Mosaic and nosh, take the bus or Uber if I need to. Worst case, I leave the bike there and bus back in the evening to ride home.

I've never had trouble donating, so I *think* I'll be ok. I didn't want to get stranded there or worse, make a bad decision. (OK, not like this is going to prevent any of my bad decisions, but it's a start.)

18. Likes rcannon100 liked this post