Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot how "nice" it was to ride up from TRI and straight through the IOD without that detour...it's the little things, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I would guess that is because they are planning on re-doing the whole corner later this year. See http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...273#post156273
    I hope so. IMO, they (and it probably is a different "they") did a great job between that section and Trollheim by the TRI. The only problem is that I just don't trust the cars to stop where the path crosses between the two sections of the parking lot. OTOH removing the two 90-degree corners is an immense improvement.

Edit: For only about the fourth time in 147 posts I remembered to answer the anti-robot question before posting. (I belong to another forum where I post a lot more often that uses the same software but hasn't implemented that robot test, so I just forget. It would be entertaining if those questions changed every once in a while. )
    Last edited by ursus; 06-09-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Detour on the MVT at Jones Point Park

There is a detour on the Mount Vernon Trail just before you go under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge headed towards Royal Street. The detour is expected to be in place until June 23. While the detour is paved, it is currently not well signed, nor is it very safe. NPS has been notified and is reaching out to the contractor to address. Extreme care should be taken as the narrow detour is shared by cyclists and pedestrians going in both directions.

The detour routes you off the MVT under the Wilson Bridge for a short distance. You can still access Royal Street.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	14978

Name:	IMG_7284.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	14979

Headed east down the ramp, paralleling the Woodrow Wilson Bridge

Name:	IMG_7289.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	14975

Name:	IMG_7282.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	14976

Headed west from Royal Street

Name:	IMG_7283.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	14977

4. Likes Judd, Emm, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    There is a detour on the Mount Vernon Trail just before you go under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge headed towards Royal Street. The detour is expected to be in place until June 23. While the detour is paved, it is currently not well signed, nor is it very safe. NPS has been notified and is reaching out to the contractor to address. Extreme care should be taken as the narrow detour is shared by cyclists and pedestrians going in both directions.
    I rode this last night--I agree you need to go VERY slow since there are some tight turns with bad sight lines, and it's very narrow. Plus you need to be VERY conscious of people walking their dogs and not paying attention to anything since that's a daily occurrence at Jones Point Park--I usually have to call my passes 2-3 times before people with their dogs realize I'm there and get their dogs to stop blocking both lanes of the trail. The detour is going to make this a fun few weeks

Especially for those coming down the hill and planning to take Lee or Union Streets, it's going to be annoying since you'll pretty much loose all your momentum from going downhill.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very surprised to see that they're allowing general public access that close (literally touching) heavy construction equipment. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen......

Post Thanks / Like

Casey or Emm - Do you know what work is being performed? Looks like a crane, nothing is jumping out as something that would be worked on that side of the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Casey or Emm - Do you know what work is being performed? Looks like a crane, nothing is jumping out as something that would be worked on that side of the trail.
    No idea. But they have these big tubes attached to a generator like thingy that go down to a what appears to be a dock, or some other wooded area. It's really weird. I'll ask tomorrow if I see them working and no one knows by then.

Post Thanks / Like

They had pumps set up there running for a couple days before the crane showed up. I'll ask the workers next time I roll through.

I thought they could have done a lot worse with the detour, signs, cones, little plastic barriers all seemed to be well placed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Contractor is working on one of the Combined Sewer Outlets.

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Contractor is working on one of the Combined Sewer Outlets.
    I hope they're making it a non-combined sewer outlet.