Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys - don't shout at women

Post Thanks / Like

The world would be a much better place if we just followed the advice of Bill and Ted to, "Be Excellent to Each Other." I haven't experienced as much aggression as my female biking friends seem to report. I've resigned myself to trying to model the behavior that I'd like others to exhibit as well shake my head in disapproval at people that make really bad passes, which I hope is subtle enough to make them feel bad, but not too aggressive that it becomes confrontational and they continue their behavior because "Hey F that Judd guy trying to tell me how to live my life."

2. Likes cmj7gh, Jenkinms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Remember when I shouted "Hi Erin!" at you yesterday?
    and I was DEEPLY offended (j/k)

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll just repeat the words I used on Twitter to link to WABA's page for this (140 characters really is enough, but I'll spell out the abbreviations):

It's sad this cyclist finished BTWD weekend with a negative experience because of these 2 incidents; this is a good reminder to be respectful and have empathy for others.

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    What does it say about the world today when the comments about the WABA post degenerate to an argument about how to label the shitty behavior instead of just you know: "knock off the shitty behavior"
    It's because everyone takes everything personally, and online comments (especially Twitter) tend to be reactionary rather than contemplative. Some people seemed to perceive the message as "Hey (all) men, you're all terrible, so stop doing (action)" and react to it rather than read the story and suggestions in context.

Post Thanks / Like

WABA might need to put up a variation of this guide - it does say "...and other types of harassment"

https://www.themarysue.com/bystanders-harassment-guide/

Post Thanks / Like

Why is gender a factor in saying something to someone else or not? In the context of riding bikes on streets and trails and regarding bike behavior if it is OK to say to a man why is not OK to same same to a woman? I am not talking bad stuff but warnings or the like. Sure "get off your bike" is not a Dirt way to say something but it is simply rude man or woman. A new rider can be discouraged be they man or woman.

A little sprinkle of rule 5 so rude people will less insult your day. Rude is rude.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-31-2017 at 02:43 PM.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The world would be a much better place if we just followed the advice of Bill and Ted to, "Be Excellent to Each Other."
    Oh, like we need those two to mansplain proper behavior to us.

9. Likes Birru liked this post
    ELITE mello yello, Judd, sjclaeys ELITED this post
    TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Who shouts based on gender? I ring a bell sometimes and say "On your left" sometimes and nothing sometimes such as little kids. (Wobbles I slow down to their speed and sneak around as saying anything will only make them look back and turn into you.) The gender of the person being passed has 0.0 to do with the method I chose. I don't have a Larry the Lounge Lizard tone if "On your left" I do have a "Please reel in your little lap rat on the 20 foot string" voice.
    Not really the type of behavior the article is getting at....

11. Likes Amalitza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Why is gender a factor in saying something to someone else or not? In the context of riding bikes on streets and trails and regarding bike behavior if it is OK to say to a man why is not OK to same same to a woman? I am not talking bad stuff but warnings or the like. Sure "get off your bike" is not a Dirt way to say something but it is simply rude man or woman. A new rider can be discouraged be they man or woman.

A little sprinkle of rule 5 so rude people will less insult your day. Rude is rude.
    In addition to more overt sexist behavior, some people may take a more condescending or superior attitude with women than they would with men. And that is an attitude that woman may have to fight against more than do men. But I agree there are plenty of jerks out there who think they are superior to everyone, regardless of gender.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember when I shouted "Hi Erin!" at you yesterday?
    You are so freakin' sexist. You never yell "Hi Steve O" at me.

14. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is comforting to know that I am sexist if I offer to help and sexist if I don't offer to help. Shrodinger's Sexism?

16. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post