Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys - don't shout at women

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guys - don't shout at women

http://www.waba.org/blog/2017/05/guys-what-the-hell/

I heart WABA so much.

And to all the guys who want to say "hey! that's not sexism," I say in return "piss off."

2. Likes DCLiz, dasgeh, dbb, Steve O, Birru and 5 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Except...for those men and women who insist on shoving ear buds into their ears...yes, I do have to shout at you, because you force me too. Or, as I am doing increasingly, I don't shout at you; instead, I say nothing to you, because you have decided that you don't want to hear me and would rather be an island unto yourself.

4. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    http://www.waba.org/blog/2017/05/guys-what-the-hell/

I heart WABA so much.

And to all the guys who want to say "hey! that's not sexism," I say in return "piss off."
    #actually instead of just agreeing with you, let me identify all the ways many of the examples of the bad behavior I observe don't seem technically sexist in order to minimize the role that I myself have played in the perpetuation of the patriarchy because I have totally done those things...but not because she was a woman!!

6. Likes DCLiz, dasgeh, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting that Tania .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Except...for those men and women who insist on shoving ear buds into their ears...yes, I do have to shout at you, because you force me too. Or, as I am doing increasingly, I don't shout at you; instead, I say nothing to you, because you have decided that you don't want to hear me and would rather be an island unto yourself.
    As long as your shouting is "Passing on your left" or the equivalent, then it is okay to shout at both men and women - and preferred.

I do NOT wear earbuds and in the increasingly rare occurrence of people announcing passes, most seem to be "passing" rather than "Passing". The former is not very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    As long as your shouting is "Passing on your left" or the equivalent, then it is okay to shout at both men and women - and preferred.

I do NOT wear earbuds and in the increasingly rare occurrence of people announcing passes, most seem to be "passing" rather than "Passing". The former is not very helpful.
    I had a dude yell Passing at me once (font level 5, not level 7). I jumped, laughed and said "holy cow you startled me." He then said something rather nasty and sped off.

10. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Agreed. The article is focused on rude comments or unhelpful advice, and shouting that advice. Calling your pass loudly is neither rude nor unhelpful, nor is "WATCH OUT" or something similar when there is about to be a dangerous situation. Those are legit helpful things we all should shout on the trail to everyone we see when needed.

There is of course also a difference between knowing someone who is giving advice, and random trail person. If I was on a ride and Fast Friendly Guy, Judd, Ed C or another male forum member here that I know made a comment that maybe I should try a different seat height or method of climbing a hill or whatever else, I wouldn't be offended since I know them. I've taken plenty of advice from forum members in the past regardless of their gender. On the other hand, random dude who was shouting at me to mash my pedals to climb a hill faster a few months after I had hip surgery since I didn't "need" to be in the lowest gears? F*ck you dude.

12. Likes drevil, mikoglaces liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What does it say about the world today when the comments about the WABA post degenerate to an argument about how to label the shitty behavior instead of just you know: "knock off the shitty behavior"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

14. Likes dasgeh, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To save everyone time and effort, the most efficient thing to do here is to cut and paste the numerous comments to the WABA Facebook post for this blog entry. Everyone will find something to agree and disagree with. Please spend your saved time out in the beautiful weather.

16. Likes consularrider, streetsmarts, eminva liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Agreed. The article is focused on rude comments or unhelpful advice, and shouting that advice. Calling your pass loudly is neither rude nor unhelpful, nor is "WATCH OUT" or something similar when there is about to be a dangerous situation. Those are legit helpful things we all should shout on the trail to everyone we see when needed.

There is of course also a difference between knowing someone who is giving advice, and random trail person. If I was on a ride and Fast Friendly Guy, Judd, Ed C or another male forum member here that I know made a comment that maybe I should try a different seat height or method of climbing a hill or whatever else, I wouldn't be offended since I know them. I've taken plenty of advice from forum members in the past regardless of their gender. On the other hand, random dude who was shouting at me to mash my pedals to climb a hill faster a few months after I had hip surgery since I didn't "need" to be in the lowest gears? F*ck you dude.
    Remember when I shouted "Hi Erin!" at you yesterday?