Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine Ave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is what happened to me 32 months ago on Maine Ave. Now I take the Case Bridge.

Name:  roadrash.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  13.0 KB
    I've been trying to come up with a witty comment on you sending us nude pics (now with less skin!) for a while, but I've been distracted by the douchebag in chief. Covfefe! Fuck Earth, we don't need it.

Or is it a skin pic sans skin? Flesh pic?

Post Thanks / Like

Maine Avenue cycle track progress https://twitter.com/bikepedantic/sta...33310471204864.

Of course soon thereafter Phase 2 construction of the Wharf will start messing up Maine Avenue some more.
    Last edited by ursus; 08-04-2017 at 10:10 PM.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The path up from Maine to L'Enfant Plaza (and the Case Bridge) is now closed for construction (it is supposed to be much better when it is all done). Sorry, I did not take a picture. Its possible I suppose to go around the construction onto the grass and then onto the path farther up the hill, at least for now, but I did not attempt that, and just took the crosswalk across Maine and went back to the lousy miserable sidewalk near the fish market, which is as bad as ever. Alternative routes from Eye street wb to the Case Bridge appreciated.

Note, progress continues on The Wharf which looks to open officially on time, in a month. No word on the status of the PBL.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Alternative routes from Eye street wb to the Case Bridge appreciated.
    At the end of Eye St, go north to G. Turn left and ride 1 block the wrong way on the southside sidewalk. Straight across and up to the circle.
    Then you can either go right and pick your bike up over the median and the curb to get to the switchback
    or
    Ride the wrong way around the circle to the switchback. Be sure not to get run over by a tour bus.

You can also transition to G any point earlier as you travel westbound on I.

5. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    At the end of Eye St, go north to G. Turn left and ride 1 block the wrong way on the southside sidewalk. Straight across and up to the circle.
    Then you can either go right and pick your bike up over the median and the curb to get to the switchback
    or
    Ride the wrong way around the circle to the switchback. Be sure not to get run over by a tour bus.

You can also transition to G any point earlier as you travel westbound on I.
    I should have been more clear. I meant a route that did NOT involve riding a full block on the sidewalk. Doesn't look like there really is any reasonable way to do that, so G Street sidewalk it is then.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have been more clear. I meant a route that did NOT involve riding a full block on the sidewalk.
    Well, you could go 1/2 block further north on 7th from G Street and take Capitol Square Place over to 9th. You might even get a green left turn arrow! Capitol Square Place is more or less an alley with speed bumps, but it is 2-way and not a sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Well, you could go 1/2 block further north on 7th from G Street and take Capitol Square Place over to 9th. You might even get a green left turn arrow! Capitol Square Place is more or less an alley with speed bumps, but it is 2-way and not a sidewalk.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8814...7i13312!8i6656

?

Hmm, not sure I am a fan of switching two lanes on 7th at rush hour to make the vehicular left. (If I were to do G, I would probably turn from Eye at 4th Street, which is generally bike friendly. Could try it one day though.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

They had the sidewalk at 9th/Maine all torn up this morning, eliminating the one curb cut in that area (which I never use anyway)...At least it's a sign of progress. I also noted this morning that the middle (?) building of the 1st phase looks nowhere near complete, and the there seemed to be significant facade work still needed for the building closest to the fish market. Not sure how they're going to have that ready by October...which also means I really doubt the cycletrack will be fully useful by then either. Seems like it will just dead end into the remaining construction.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8814...7i13312!8i6656

?

Hmm, not sure I am a fan of switching two lanes on 7th at rush hour to make the vehicular left. (If I were to do G, I would probably turn from Eye at 4th Street, which is generally bike friendly. Could try it one day though.
    That's the place. 7th is never very busy in that stretch, and I ride through ~5:00 pm every day. What traffic there is on northbound 7th is slow and cowed into submission by the frequent and uncoordinated stop lights further north.

11. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    That's the place. 7th is never very busy in that stretch, and I ride through ~5:00 pm every day. What traffic there is on northbound 7th is slow and cowed into submission by the frequent and uncoordinated stop lights further north.
    I take capitol sq place every night to access the Case Bridge, although coming from the opposite on 7th which makes it easier. But Bentbike33 is right. The traffic is really light coming from the direction you'd be heading. It's probably worth a try one night just to see how it works. It might end up being the best option, or at least an alternative if the other routes aren't great.

13. Likes lordofthemark liked this post