Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Just a pause to say hello`

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Just a pause to say hello`

    As the title says, I'm just taking a second to pause my exploration of the forum to say Hello .... so ..... Hello!

    I have been riding for years in the area and only found out about this forum thanks to my convoy leader on BTWD. Now I have a new thing to distract me when I open up a browser

    About me, I guess.

    I tend to keep to myself in large groups, I'm a people watcher. That said. I like to do charity rides whenever I can. This year I have done the "End Hunger" in Calvert County and the Tour de Cookie. I want to do the SMECO 75 this coming Saturday. I'm registered for the MS Chesapeake Challenge, and will be riding in RAGBRAI this year. Oh, and I also like to commute as often as work allows. I also like to make videos of the rides that I do, why not right? I won't use this post to spam my videos but if anyone is curious I'll do a reply.

    What else....I'm not sure. I tend to use my time on a bike as a 'zen moment' I have found that when I get on my bike I feel empowered and am able to destress from whatever is going, for a little bit at least. I think I'm a friendly cyclist in that I try to say hi, wave a hand, or give a head nod to anyone I see on the trails.


    Well anyway, again, Hello everyone and see you in the forum and on the trails.

  2. Likes streetsmarts, Birru, bobco85, dasgeh liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    1,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome to the forum! You'll find LOTS of stuff to distract you (weekend rides, coffee clubs, pics/vids from folks, the usual trail etiquette nonsense, bike parts up the wazoo, and more) here!

    As far as meeting folks, I recommend checking out the numerous coffee clubs that occur on every day of the week and the happy hours, too. Here's a list of coffee club gathering spots: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...432#post159432

    Based on your commute, I'd say you should try the CCCC (Crystal City Coffee Club) on Tuesdays, the Hump Day Coffee Club (Best Buns in Shirlington) on Wednesdays, and WTFCC (Whole Thursday Foods Coffee Club at the Whole Foods in Crystal City) on Thursdays.

    As for bike videos, the more, the merrier! I've got a decent backlog spanning the last couple of years, and it's nice to see the different perspectives that fellow cyclists have when going on various rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by JQCyclist View Post
    What else....I'm not sure. I tend to use my time on a bike as a 'zen moment' I have found that when I get on my bike I feel empowered and am able to destress from whatever is going, for a little bit at least. I think I'm a friendly cyclist in that I try to say hi, wave a hand, or give a head nod to anyone I see on the trails.
    Ditto to this for me; I've found cycling to be a very calming experience, especially after a long day.

    Hope to meet you sometime!

  4. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  5. #3
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,635
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome JQ,

    Thanks for saying hi! Sounds like you fit well within the DMV cycling community. I highly recommend attending a few social outings to be able to match faces with avatars, recognize folks at organized rides, etc. Helps makes the forum more personal. You will be surprised by how many people you recognize while riding after a while (Judd seems omnipresent!).

  6. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome to the forum!

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    As far as meeting folks, I recommend checking out the numerous coffee clubs that occur on every day of the week and the happy hours, too. Here's a list of coffee club gathering spots: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...432#post159432
    Yup, I just started showing up at social events during Freezing Saddles 2017. Seemed to work out ok!

  8. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Welcome JQ,

    (Judd seems omnipresent!).
    I am the Santa Claus of biking.

    I see you when you're biking.
    I know if you've been good or bad.
    So call your passes for goodness sake.

  10. ELITE KLizotte ELITED this post
  11. #6
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I am the Santa Claus of biking.
    I'm sort of the opposite of that; at least that's what I'm told.

    I am, though, on a quest to go to every single coffee club at least once, so if you start coming, I'm bound to meet you sometime.
    Also, check out the calendar on www.freezingsaddles.com

  12. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  13. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I'm sort of the opposite of that; at least that's what I'm told.
    Krampus?

  14. Likes GovernorSilver, AFHokie, streetsmarts liked this post
  15. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JQCyclist View Post
    As the title says, I'm just taking a second to pause my exploration of the forum to say Hello .... so ..... Hello!

    I have been riding for years in the area and only found out about this forum thanks to my convoy leader on BTWD. Now I have a new thing to distract me when I open up a browser

    About me, I guess.

    I tend to keep to myself in large groups, I'm a people watcher. That said. I like to do charity rides whenever I can. This year I have done the "End Hunger" in Calvert County and the Tour de Cookie. I want to do the SMECO 75 this coming Saturday. I'm registered for the MS Chesapeake Challenge, and will be riding in RAGBRAI this year. Oh, and I also like to commute as often as work allows. I also like to make videos of the rides that I do, why not right? I won't use this post to spam my videos but if anyone is curious I'll do a reply.

    What else....I'm not sure. I tend to use my time on a bike as a 'zen moment' I have found that when I get on my bike I feel empowered and am able to destress from whatever is going, for a little bit at least. I think I'm a friendly cyclist in that I try to say hi, wave a hand, or give a head nod to anyone I see on the trails.


    Well anyway, again, Hello everyone and see you in the forum and on the trails.

    Welcome to the forums and the cycling community. In addition to the excellent advice for making biking friends (who you can hit up for donations) I'd also suggest using Strava and joining some of the groups. I've made a few friends through Strava and turned some acquaintances into very strong friends. I'd recommend Bike Arlington strava group for starters.

    I'd also mention that there's a google calendar of cycling events, but I don't want to steal Steve O's thunder. I've found that showing up to stuff has been great for expanding my social network. Offering open invite rides has been even better.
    Last edited by Judd; 05-30-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Komorebi pointed out that my typo said that showing up for stuff was a bad way to meet people.

  16. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  17. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I'm sort of the opposite of that; at least that's what I'm told.
    You're a mean one.... Steve O... you're a dirty, rotten soul...

  18. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  19. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Welcome to the forums and the cycling community. In addition to the excellent advice for making biking friends (who you can hit up for donations) I'd also suggest using Strava and joining some of the groups. I've made a few friends through Strava and turned some acquaintances into very strong friends. I'd recommend Bike Arlington strava group for starters.

    I'd also mention that there's a google calendar of cycling events, but I don't want to steal Steve O's thunder. I've found that showing up to stuff has been great for expanding my social network. Offering open invite rides has been even better.

    Been using starve for a bit now - Joshua Hoover - and just now joined the Bike Arlington group, thanks for the suggestion.

    Yeah a new group to hit up for donations for rides (like the MS one coming up haha) is always helpful, although I probably shouldn't typed that, oh well.

    I don't drink coffee, which means I'm not really a cyclist I think, so cafe stops haven't been my thing but I think I might pop in to some just to meet and greet people.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •