Likes Likes:  88
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Disc Brakes -- Hydraulic vs. Mechanical?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    I don't know if there was ever resolution with Jamis, but my LBS has helped me out some. I didn't replace like with like though - I made some significant upgrades from stock parts to DT Swiss wheels and Cane Creek headset.

I will caveat that I'm generally not all that easy on bike components. I've also managed to mangle the hub of a Shimano RS010 wheel and generally only get about 1200-1500 miles out of a chain

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    BRETT SMASH!

If I remember correctly, several folks have had issues with wheels/hubs failing on the Renegade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you do. I know of a few other people who've replaced the rear wheel - those who typically ride in all conditions and put a little more power through their drivetrain.

4. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going back to your question - they're not great brakes, but they'll do the job. Is an upgrade needed? Not today. Would I upgrade? I'd definitely consider it. Should you upgrade? Only if you want to.

6. Likes hozn, Judd, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I'd think you should be getting at least 3,000 miles out of your pads and I'd hope you'd be getting over 15k miles of the calipers before things start falling apart (ideally much more than that).
    I suppose you have an idea what streetsmarts' commute is like? A lot of y'all have lovely commutes that are > 80% car-free MUP, but some of us have commutes that are 100% surface streets with traffic controls every 250 feet, and we go through brake parts (and tires) more quickly.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    I suppose you have an idea what streetsmarts' commute is like? A lot of y'all have lovely commutes that are > 80% car-free MUP, but some of us have commutes that are 100% surface streets with traffic controls every 250 feet, and we go through brake parts (and tires) more quickly.
    And some of us actually stop at the traffic controls

11. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    My, someone's grumpy.

Those were meant to be ballpark averages. There are obviously lots of variables. Do you ride in rain? Do you ride off-road? Are you using scintered metallic or organic brake pads? How heavy are you? How much elevation in your route?

But if your pads are wearing out after a thousand miles, you might want to consider switching pad materials or brands. TRP was notorious, at least with their early pads, of spec'ing organic pads that did not last long at all if ridden in wet conditions. If Tektro is spec'ing those same pads, that would be a reason to switch. And if your calipers are breaking within a couple years, they're probably not very good.
    Last edited by hozn; 07-31-2018 at 03:26 PM.

13. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone is selling a pair of road BB7s on DC Used for $20. That would be $20 well spent.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcus...91120731118510

15. Likes Birru, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just getting caught up in this thread and here are a few thoughts... I think Streetsmarts is correct in thinking that while her Lyra disc brakes are entry level, they can be safe and functional with routine adjustment and maintenance. That said, a brake upgrade can be pretty meaningful, so the used BB7s hozn mentioned may not be a bad idea.

For what it's worth, my $2699 MSRP Renegade Expert also needed some warranty replacements and upgrades from some mediocre OEM spec components. Even expensive bikes are specced to hit key price points, so I don't see this sort of thing changing, unfortunately.

17. Likes hozn, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    My, someone's grumpy.
    Nope. Just pointing out that miles traveled is a pretty weak predictor of brake life for "road" use.

19. Likes hozn, streetsmarts liked this post