Likes Likes:  88
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Disc Brakes -- Hydraulic vs. Mechanical?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    So I actually pondered going road hydraulic for my planned rebuild of my do-everything bike. (It needs new rings & cassette & cables & whatnot anyway, so why not take it from 8 gears to 10 and address every other possible want at the same time?) So I'm pouring over the shimano tech docs (have I ever mentioned how much I hate shimano?) and it seems like there's a total dumpster fire right now. So shimano invented a new standard for brake mounts? And, being shimano, they even have different pads for brakes within the same family with different mounts? And the only 10 speed hydraulic shifters are mechanically incompatible with everything other than the current 11 speed (road) stuff. It's like evil gnomes sit around a table at shimano hq discussing how to prevent people from building the bike they want. I think I'll stick with 5700 shifters and try the hy/rd brakes rather than buying into this mess.
    I bought into road hydraulic complete and new, so I've delayed the bike rebuild pain. Therefore, I'm pretty satisfied and haven't hit my cynical phase yet. HY/RD sounds like a great plan for you though. Certainly the path of least resistance.

Post Thanks / Like

Think my front caliper was out of alignment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with hydro. It has less maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Replying to this thread cause of brake problems. Bike shop problems.

Have only put 2000 miles on my Jamie Renegade Exile in about 18 mos (lowest of the Renegade options).. it had Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brakes.

I've had to adjust and adjust them .
    Had the front brake pads replaced 6 mos ago. Was surprised but oh well.

Then the back brake acted weird.. it would brake but then get stuck and not work at all.

Eventually a friend took the caliper apart and we found a broken spring. (Sheared in two)

LBS asked Tektro and they replaced the caliper for free. This was maybe 1 month ago.

Now rear not braking well...tried and tried to adjust. Shouldn't these things just stay...all you need to do is tighten them up when the cable stretches? I tried to...but couldn't get it to work. Thought maybe the cable needed replacing.

Went to a diff. shop this week (closer to home) where mechanic first said: it just needs an adjustment. Cable is fine. Then he took it back...worked for 20 mins and came back & said "it won't hold the adjustment. I wouldn't run these brakes on any bike. You need a new caliper ...suggested $68 caliper (shimano).

For someone who rides as little as I do (compared to some on this forum) - why all the problems? Is this what i should expect from a good bike? replacing a significant part after just 18 mos? What would you do?
    a $68 part is almost 10% of the cost of the new bike.
    Are they trying to sell me something I don't need?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by streetsmarts; 07-29-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

And the rest of the story...went to the local bike shop I trust today. The mechanic showed me how he adjusted it; he said the brakes are fine though not great.
    He said I didn't need a new caliper.
    This brake system is one where only one brake pad moves. He had to adjust the brake pad in more and said I'll have to do that as it wears. I know how to do that.
    Rode home with a great rear brake.

So angry that another bike shop that folks recommend couldn't adjust it properly and tried to seel what I didn't need.
    I guess i'll write to or call their manager or owner.
    Anyone else had this type of experience?

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't strike me as an agressive upsell to suggest you replace a finicky disc caliper with a new, different one. Sounds like you were getting decent advice at a fair retail price. You could do it cheaper by yourself, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    And the rest of the story...went to the local bike shop I trust today. The mechanic showed me how he adjusted it; he said the brakes are fine though not great.
    He said I didn't need a new caliper.
    This brake system is one where only one brake pad moves. He had to adjust the brake pad in more and said I'll have to do that as it wears. I know how to do that.
    Rode home with a great rear brake.

So angry that another bike shop that folks recommend couldn't adjust it properly and tried to seel what I didn't need.
    I guess i'll write to or call their manager or owner.
    Anyone else had this type of experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post
    It doesn't strike me as an agressive upsell to suggest you replace a finicky disc caliper with a new, different one. Sounds like you were getting decent advice at a fair retail price. You could do it cheaper by yourself, of course.

Even if I didn't need a new caliper at all to ride happily and safely ? I disagree.

They didn't suggest an upgrade. They said brake wouldn't hold the adjustment ...and did not adjust to give me good braking power. They wanted more money and said i needed the new caliper.

The other shop did fix it and braking power is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Even if I didn't need a new caliper at all to ride happily and safely ? I disagree.

They didn't suggest an upgrade. They said brake wouldn't hold the adjustment ...and did not adjust to give me good braking power. They wanted more money and said i needed the new caliper.

The other shop did fix it and braking power is fine.

What's their margin on 68 bucks? Not enough to risk alienating a customer. Trust your mechanic.

Post Thanks / Like

$68 is a lot in my world. That's almost 10% of the price of the bike I've had for less than 2 yrs.
    And I don't need the part!
    Why didn't that bike shop just adjust the brake properly ( like other bike shop did), charge me $15, and suggest I upgrade the brakes ?

Because their margin on$68 is much better than on $15.
    And now I'm alienated. And I'll tell my friends (pm me if interested) which bike shop was honest and which was not.
    Not good customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post
    What's their margin on 68 bucks? Not enough to risk alienating a customer. Trust your mechanic.
    Greed, incompetence, does it matter?

Plenty of disc calipers only have pistons on one side, that's not a reason to ditch gear.

11. Likes Judd, streetsmarts, Sunyata liked this post